Author Topic: Newbie needs help!  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Night Owl

Re: Newbie needs help!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The latest and greatest is the Pixelnet USB dongle. 

Just a qiuck terminoligy correction.  The new dongle is actually called the Etherdongle.  The Pixelnet USB dongle is just the older DMX USB dongle flashed with Pixelnet firmware.

You are absolutely correct.  I think I was thinking faster than I was typing.   <fp.

Offline Night Owl

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, »
You can't control a fog machine with the Express.  Fog machines take time to warm up.  Cheap ones can take 3-5 minutes or so.  So if you used the Express to control the fog machine's main power supply, you would always get that delay.  If you have a DMX controlled fog machine, you should be able to control it directly with the DMX dongle without going through an Express.  If the fog machine has a remote, you could do as Tbone recommends and wire in a relay but use it to switch the remote instead of the main power to the fogger.

I had two cheap foggers that died last season.  I think I'm going to spring for a DMX DJ quality version this year.  Today's prices are about what I paid years ago for my first fogger anyway.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, »
A lot of people use cheep extension cords ( buck a piece at the dollar store). Cut off the male plug, strip the wires and attach them to the terminal strips at the bottom of the express.

+1;  Some guys buy bulk wire and vampire plugs and make their own.

For my haunt I use 2 foggers with remotes and just set them each to run a nice cycle and forget about controlling them via dmx.  Night Owl, a well known problem with cheap foggers ig they leak is needing to replace the vinyl line from the pump.  That said, a nice pro unit is a good thing. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline NickWaka7

• The Imagination Is A Terrible Thing To Waste
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, »
Ok thats what I figured.

Where (or who) would I get the parts from such as a dongle and a ethernet cable to connect the dongle to the Lynx?
Also, when connecting the dongle to the computer, its just a standard USB cord that can be purchased at a local radio shack or Best Buy correct?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2013, »
You can't control a fog machine with the Express.  Fog machines take time to warm up.  Cheap ones can take 3-5 minutes or so.  So if you used the Express to control the fog machine's main power supply, you would always get that delay.  If you have a DMX controlled fog machine, you should be able to control it directly with the DMX dongle without going through an Express.  If the fog machine has a remote, you could do as Tbone recommends and wire in a relay but use it to switch the remote instead of the main power to the fogger.

I had two cheap foggers that died last season.  I think I'm going to spring for a DMX DJ quality version this year.  Today's prices are about what I paid years ago for my first fogger anyway.

Even the lower cost fog machines come with or have an optional remote control.  It would not be a big deal to modify the conroller with a relay that the Express can control and trigger the fogger.  This way, you leave the fogger on and let it stay warm and use the modified controller to trigger the fog.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline NickWaka7

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, »
Can you buy the Lynx Express And dongle preassembled or do you have to build it yourself? I know nothing about building these puppies nor does anyone I know.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, by NickWaka7 »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, »
The Express and the dongle here have to be built but trust me, it is moch easie than you think.  RJ has done a great job of making it that way with a well designed board layout easy to follow directions and if you have issues, there is plenty of help right here. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Kasey911

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, »
I'll second what Tbone said.  I just completed building my first EtherDongle and Active Hub and between the build manuals and the silk screens on the PCBs, it was a piece of cake.  I was able to complete both of them the first time through without any problems (and it's been 20+ years since the last time I soldered anything).

Not to mention, the folks on here are *always* ready to lend a hand and offer any advice you may need. 

The only down side is now I have 2 really cool boards done and nothing to hook them to!  I can't wait for the new SSC's to be released so I can see some blinky!

Now, with that being said, if you are still not interested in building them yourself to start out, keep an eye on the For Sale forum as folks will regularly post items they no longer need for sale there and you can pick up completed boards that way.

Good luck with which ever way you choose to go!
~Kasey~

Offline NickWaka7

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, »
Just to make sure I have this correct, all I will need is:

-LE
-DMX Dongle
-USB Cord
-Ethernal Cable
-Vixen

Anything else I need to add to the list?

sjb

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, »

-LE
-DMX Dongle
-USB Cord
-Ethernal Cable
-Vixen

Soldering gun
Containers or cases for the equipment
and lots of extension cords

Steve

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, »

-LE
-DMX Dongle
-USB Cord
-Ethernal Cable
-Vixen

Might need a Pickit3 to program the pics