Author Topic: Trying to get started  (Read 4108 times)

Offline TheBanker

Trying to get started
« on: December 30, 2010, »
Ok.  So I have read for hours on end the Wiki and this forum.  I have watched many videos of these products and others.  I understand most things but I do have just as many loose ends.

I guess the main thing I don't understand is the number of channels in a box and how many lights they control.  I have noticed the many boxes in the videos.  Is the standard method to have one channel per one string of lights?  Or is it more channels for LED lights?

As far as the products....
Lynx Express {16 Channel Controller with on board ssrs - all in one unit
Does this mean nothing else is needed? I understand computer, dongle, wireless and so forth.....but just plug the lights into this thing along with those other items?

Lynx Freestyle {128 Channel Controller - Using external ssr
So with this one you cannot plug lights directly into the unit but must use 4 channel boxes, Lynx SSR4-DMX {4 Channel Controller}? SO I connect up to 32 of these four channel boxes.  Its possible that one of these boxes is needed to control just one string of LED color changing lights?

The smart string will not use either of these?

So what is the ideal set up?  Starting from scratch?

Bill

Will

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
Re: Trying to get started
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, »
Greetings,,,

The LE needs a case and ac cords, along with the dongle and computer, etc.  And lights...

Starting from scratch, of course, you have to decide what your setup is, but you can always add more as time goes on.

The smart strings are separate from the LEs.

The LE is probably better for most than the FreeStyles.  Newer tech and all.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, »
Hi Bill

See if this diagram helps (hopefully it doesn't confuse)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Also the SSR4 has two modes a standard mode which connects to the Freestyle and a Controller mode where its self contained like the Lynx Express called SSR4-DMX

Ideal setup is what you need the basic one is kind of like this

Computer - USB Cable - Dongle - Cat 5 cable - Express - Cat 5 cable - Express ...........

So each Express has a cat5 cable and two power cords to it for power. The 16 outputs of the Express can handle up to 4 amps each or a total of 40 amps.

How many lights you connect to each one is up to you. One string to many strings as long as its 4amps or less.

Starting out again. It would be hard to build another Freestyle, I would just use Express and SSR4-DMX

Smart String is a different animal, its 12v dc as oppose to the above which is ac

a basic setup for the smart string would be:

Computer - USB cable - PixelNet Dongle - Cat 5 cable - PixelNet Hub - SSC(1-16)  
You can have more hubs and up to 16 SSC off each hub
SSC - Smart String Controller
A 12v dc power supply is connected to each hub. The hub sends out power and data to each SSC

Hope that helps some

If not let me know

Rick R.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, by rrowan »
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, »
There really is no general "ideal" setup but there is a large enough of a selection of equipment that you should be able to set up the ideal setup for you.  Now to answer some of your questions.   A channel is a control output and they are rated on how much current they can put out without damage.  The express has 16 channels or 16 control outputs.  Each control output is capable of handling up to 4 amps but the max output for the entire unit is 40 amps so you really can't load every channel with a 4 amp load.  Since LED's use much less current than mini's or other incandecents, you can plug more strings of them into each channel.  The Express is also a self contained unit which means that it needs no other components to control the lights other than a DMX signal to tell it what to do.  The Freestyle is a 128 channel controller but it is not self contained and requires  external SSR's to handle the load of the lights such as the SSR4.  It can control up to 32 SSR4's.  The SSR4 can handle 1 Amp per channel the way it is and up to 2 Amps per channel if you make a heat sink for it.  The Lynx SSR4 can also be built with DMX components which turns it into the SSR4/DMX which is a self contained 4 channel controller like the Express with the same load capabilities as the standard SSR4.  The SSR4/DMX does not require or work with the Freestyle.  Controlling a set of color changing LED's may be well beyond the capabilities of the SSR4 as it only puts out 4 channels of variable voltage from 0 up to 120VAC and many of these color changing strings run on a lower single output fixed DC voltage and a control signal like the smart string.    

The smart string is a new device that is in final development and does not run on DMX.  They use their own controllers and run on a new protocol known as Pixelnet so they do not use the Express or any other DMX controller.  If you are starting from scratch then I would look into the software that you may want to use first.  Many of them have a preview panel that you can use to design your display which will give you an idea of what display items you are are going to use, where they are, and how many channels you are going to need to control them.  Once you have this information you can much better decide what components you will need to both make it work and create your ideal setup and on another positive note, you will be familure with the software that you will be creating you sequences with and creating the sequences is really the hardest part of the display.

As others have said, you will need the software, computer, dongle, and controllers.  You also have wireless components available to reduce the amount of Cat5 cable that you will need but if and when you use them depends on your final display layout.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, »
Ok, perfect, I love that diagram.  So lets talk about that abit even though I am starting to see that at this point I would probably just daisy chain a bunch of the 16 channel.  In the diagram, the first splitter....why? 
Why are we mixing the 16's and the 4's?  To save money when we only need a 4?  Just as easy just to do all 16's?  Or is there another reason for the 4's? 
The freestyle I'm just going to discount now....
last question for now, on the dongle, once all my 16's add to 512 I would need a second one?

Bill
Will

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, »
Man you guys are awesome.  I am running out of questions already!!

The 4 channel at 1 amp....is that pretty standard lets say compared to LOR.  I have never actually sat and added up my amps and off the top of my head I have no idea what a string may take......  .5 amp? average incadesent.  I am not thinking the 4 channel has much use when I can just get all 16's.

The smart string.......nevermind, I'll just wait till its ready to ask more.

Ok now for the ideas.  Where do you guys go to find ideas or how to build these mega trees or other things like that?
Will

Offline rm357

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, »
The first step is deciding what you want to do, then figuring the best way to implement it. Attached is a top-down drawing of my setup. I basically wanted to be able to run 1 power cord to each zone and use wireless DMX to get the control signal there. The Mega-Tree has 32 strands of white bulbs attached to two Lynx Expresses and a DMX SSR4 up top to control the three channel star. There is one DMX RX in one of the Expresses and the DMX from there is fed to the other express and up the pole with one power cord to the star. The 12 mini-trees are connected to 3 SSR4s with a DMX TX/RX set to RX mode. There is one power cord that runs from the house with vampire taps at each SSR4. The cord lengths on the SSR4s were made to reach each tree (outputs are 6', 3', 3', 6' for each SSR4 and the trees are 4' apart). I could have used an express, but that would have meant more extension cords... Around the house, I used the freestyle to control 7 SSR4s. Again I could have used expresses, but it would have meant more extension cords. When I start adding color and need 3 or 4 channels per bush, the express will make more sense... On the diagram, basically a small circle=bush, triangles=mini-tree, exceptions are the porch and Mega tree. I posted my video on the porch...
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, by rm357 »
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, »
Man you guys are awesome.  I am running out of questions already!!

The 4 channel at 1 amp....is that pretty standard lets say compared to LOR.  I have never actually sat and added up my amps and off the top of my head I have no idea what a string may take......  .5 amp? average incadesent.  I am not thinking the 4 channel has much use when I can just get all 16's.

The smart string.......nevermind, I'll just wait till its ready to ask more.

Ok now for the ideas.  Where do you guys go to find ideas or how to build these mega trees or other things like that?

There is no "normal" but TYPICALLY 3 100 count incandescent equal ~1 amp.

Idea's are online - walking through home depot or other displays or get together.  There is a large Academy in Houston, TX in August where you get get idea's from other decorating enthusiasts - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Harrison

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, »
DMX 512 only allows for 512 channels per universe and a dongle can only be on one universe so yes, if you exceed 512 channels you would need another dongle.  The splitter is simply an option to reduce cable lengths.  If you have groups  of lights in different areas on your property it can be easier to use a splitter to send the signal from the dongle directly to each group rather than stringing from one group to the next, especially if they are far apart.  The SSR4 / DMX works well if you have a remote area that is only using a few channels.  Sure, you could use an Express and run a bunch of long extension cords to the display but that usually looks like crap compared to one cord and a Cat5 cable and if the run is really long then it could actually be more expensive.  I have a large wreath up on one of the peeks of my house and I will be using a SSR4 to control it and make it part of the wreath.  This way I only have 1 cord and a cat 5 cable going up to it which is much easier to hide.  Another idea that I intend to implement next year is to replace the controllers on some of my multi-function ligh strings with SSR4 / DMX.  This way I can control what they do and when  instead of depending on what what functions the factory controller has.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, by tbone321 »
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, »
You asked - Is the standard method to have one channel per one string of lights?

No.  I don't split my gutter lights or roof lights.  On the gutters I have 9 strings of lights (LEDs).

My rule of thumb is that with 32 channels almost everyone can animate their home.  But.... as you get more into it you will want a finer control of the display elements.  I can light my mega tree with one outlet, but if I want to change colors I need one outlet per color.  If I want to spin the tree I probably need at least one outlet for every 90 degrees and then you will decide that is not enough either.  Same goes for an element like a window or tree or a bush.  You may start with a multicolor string and only need one outlet per element or group of elements, but then you decide that you want to be able to change the color on the element or have multiple elements chase each other.

And so the addiction grows.......

But 32 channels is a good place to start because there is a lot to learn in your first year.  More than you will ever imagine.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, »
I'm trying to understand the color changing LED's a bit more.  These are not widely available for major use in set ups yet???

Bill
Will

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, »
I'm trying to understand the color changing LED's a bit more.  These are not widely available for major use in set ups yet???

Bill

If you are talking about RJ's Smart Strings than nope. Only RJ had some this year on his megatree for testing before the very first coop to DLA members.

There is plenty of info on them in the wiki equipment page if you haven't see it yet.

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, »
No, just in general....controllable color changing LED's.  They don't really exist?

Bill
Will

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, »
No, just in general....controllable color changing LED's.  They don't really exist?

Bill

Unless I am really confused but isn't RGB leds controllable color changing leds?

Rick R.

Offline travailen

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, »
RGB LEDs are available and are an LED that can output a red or a green or a blue color  or other color combinations depending on input currents for each of the three basic colors. For a basic explaination, assume a DMX setup of one channel for red and one channel for green and one channel for blue. If only the red channel is full on you hava a red LED. If only the green channel is full on you have a green LED. If both the red and the green channel are both on full you have different color. As you change the brightness of each channel of the three colors you can generte different colors. So the color of the LED appears to change as the three basic RGB colors are varied in intensity. For an example of some RGB color combinations go here.

The chart assumes the same intensity for each of the RGB components of the LED at the same input currents for each of the three RGB colors.

Rick S