Author Topic: Wife and Academy??  (Read 2305 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Wife and Academy??
« on: February 01, 2012, »
OK, So truth be told I have not told my wife that I would like to attend the Academy. She is not into my hobby as much as I would like (not at all). We have enough air miles to fly, but there is no way she is going to use those for this. Unless I find something for us to do together when the convention is over I don't think that I can attend. I have looked online and don't really see anything that she would really be interested in. I have never been to Texas so any info would be appreciated. Any ideas???

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Wife and Academy??
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, »
The Houston area has museums, aquariums, zoos, amusement parks, a baseball team, ...
Conroe has a lake with water activities (boating, fishing, ...)
Close to Houston is Galveston with cruise ships -- take her on a cruise to some Mexican ports while you are in the area!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Houston area has museums, aquariums, zoos, amusement parks, a baseball team, ...
Close to Houston is Galveston with cruise ships -- take her on a cruise to some Mexican ports while you are in the area!

She is into baseball, but Astros are not in town that weekend. How far is Ranger Stadium? Across the state isn't it. She would love to see the Rangers play.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, »

She is into baseball, but Astros are not in town that weekend. How far is Ranger Stadium? Across the state isn't it. She would love to see the Rangers play.
When I have family come to Texas I say... "oh that isn't far, we can get there in a little bit!"  I forget that my ability to define distance changed after I moved here. :)

From Conroe to the Rangers ballpark it is:

218 mi, 3 hours 41 mins -- using I-45 N
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline steve_hirst

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, »

When I have family come to Texas I say... "oh that isn't far, we can get there in a little bit!"  I forget that my ability to define distance changed after I moved here. :)

From Conroe to the Rangers ballpark it is:

218 mi, 3 hours 41 mins -- using I-45 N
And thats still not even close to across the state. I live in texas and will drive over 500 miles to get to the academy. Its not that far.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, »
Dude,...
   Where's your nads?  Tell her you're going and that's that and won't she be glad when,..... NO ...if you decide to come home.

Id like to meet you there. But I'm afraid I can't make it.  Truth be told the wife won't let me.   ;D  <fp.

Leon
Leon

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, »
Dude,...
   Where's your nads? 

In my wife's purse!  :-[ I have not made it married for 27 years without compromise = I am ALWAYS wrong  ;).

There is more to it than just that. She has been bugging me for a few years now to take her back to Hawaii and it has just not been in the budget. Priorities: 1 SS Nodes 2 Vacation!  >:D I could just tell her I am going, but I know that would cost me WAY too much in the long run. I am just trying to go and still keep peace in the house. I just don't think that I can pull it off. Oh well I guess I will miss her when I get home!!!  :'( JK!!!!  ;D  ;D

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, »
Dude,...
   Where's your nads? 

In my wife's purse!  :-[ I have not made it married for 27 years without compromise = I am ALWAYS wrong  ;).

There is more to it than just that. She has been bugging me for a few years now to take her back to Hawaii and it has just not been in the budget. Priorities: 1 SS Nodes 2 Vacation!  >:D I could just tell her I am going, but I know that would cost me WAY too much in the long run. I am just trying to go and still keep peace in the house. I just don't think that I can pull it off. Oh well I guess I will miss her when I get home!!!  :'( JK!!!!  ;D  ;D

You could always make the stop at the academy as part of the Hawaii trip??? That is definitely compromise for both of you. ;D

Offline cavu2u

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, »
Dunno if I'm gonna go yet or not, but there's plenty to do nearby.

Being from southern Oklahoma, Houston's not that far - only like 8 hours. And Conroe is like an hour closer. Guess we're used to 16-hour day trips.

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, »
Honestly we don't compete with Hawaii, but who does.

You can get an easy flight out of Houston Bush airport straight to Hawaii, lots of flights from there and it is only 30 minutes from Conroe.

The cruise thing would definitely be an option too.  If you've never cruised in the Caribbean there are some beautiful 3, 4 and 7 days cruises out of Galveston on Carnival.  Super easy to get too, probably about and hour and a half from Conroe.  Personally I think the warm water in the Caribbean is better than the water in Hawaii, but Hawaii has better resorts.  Not as much of an issue if you are on a cruise though.

Near or in Conroe you have Lake Conroe for activities.  Lots of boat/sail/personal water craft rental options.  I'm not saying there is going to be any water left based on the drought we've been having, but there should be some, lol.  Other nearby options are The Woodlands, which has some great hotels, shopping and dining. 

You can also check out the what to do page from the Academy website:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Ron

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, »
Thanks for all of the replies. I have looked at the information in the Academy and online. The problem with adding Hawaii or a cruise in June is that she wants to go when it is cold here. I am just going to have to talk to her about it when the time is right. There is a lot going on with her work, like she is not happy and not sure if she is going top have a job, so she is under pressure there. I will just have to wait until she is in a good mood and bring it up. We will see... Keep the ideas coming though!

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, »
Follow your instincts ... need to keep the wife happy and on onboard to the extent possible.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline cvyvial

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, »
I guess it depends on what things she likes. We have a bit of everything. If shopping is an interest I can recommend You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. It is probably 10 minutes away.

Is there any part of the holidays (any Holidays) that she enjoys. We have quite a few wife's attend and with the number of classes offerend she may find a few that she is interested in as well.

Offline travailen

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, »
Bring her to Houston to look for a job while you are at the Academy. There is lots going on here. Then, when she gets the job, y'all move to Conroe. Problem solved permanently.  ;)

Rick S

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, »
Bring her to Houston to look for a job while you are at the Academy. There is lots going on here. Then, when she gets the job, y'all move to Conroe. Problem solved permanently.  ;)

Rick S

Nice thought, but no Elk in Houston! I LOVE the northwest too much! I will see what she says in a couple of days. There is hope, I think I just have to time it right. At least she has not said no....... yet.  ;D