Author Topic: Fried Board?  (Read 2107 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Fried Board?
« on: November 29, 2013, »
I plugged my 10W Triad power supply used for my wireless DMX into my EtD.  The Power supply for the EtD is a 4.5 W supply.  Oops.

Now I don't have the power LED lit on the ETD when I plug in the correct power supply.  What is the likelihood I will get my EtD back up and going?

Offline rm357

Re: Fried Board?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, »
Depends on what that triad power supply is. The voltage and whether the output is AC or DC are more important than the raw wattage.
If you are lucky, you may have just fried the 5v voltage regulator (7805).

Wattage is basically voltage x current. A 5v DC supply that can provide 50 amps would be rated at 250 watts, but will not damage the EtD as long it is connected properly.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, »
I have looked at the power supplies again.  Both have 6VDC at 800mA output.

After plugging in the powersupply used for the wireless transmitter, the light on the EtD stopped lighting after about 30sec.

I may not have fried the board with power but I wonder why my power light went out?

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, »
I have extra 7805's.  I try replacing it and see if that helps.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, »
Before you replace the 7805 is the MAGjack lighting?  The green LED on the EtD is not a power indicator rather ti is used to indicate the PIC is programmed and functioning.  If the MAGjack seems to be working correctly it may be that the green LED failed checking voltage at the LED will tell, also check the output of the 7805 before unsoldering it.
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, »
MAGJack does turn on and flashes when I send data to the card with the SS Utility.  I have flashed the EtD and it did so with out errors. The LED didn't light up like it usually does when I have the PICKIT attached to it.  Also should note that the Red LED on my Conductor will light up with power applied to my EtD.

Still hope?  I'm going to try to program a string of lights and see what happens.

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, »
I noticed something about the board.  Once as I was inserting CAT5 connector into the MAGJack, for a short time the Green LED turned on but then faded away again and hasn't been seen since. :-\

An aside - When you plug a set of smart strings connected to an SSC v4 into an active  hub, are the lights on the string supposed to flash? I don't recall that happening before.  I've also seen the first node turn blue with power connected and no data from a dongle being sent.  What would that indicate? 

I think I'm getting really tired.  Long day of debugging.  I was hoping to get some SS up for this season but it seems like I keep hitting a wall!  I was good and all until my previously working EtD stopped working!  I put up my show so that last year's DMX stuff would run (which is going successfully) and had anticipated adding SS through the season.  I had tested lights, programmed starting addresses etc and was ready to install today.  My EtD stopped working and now I have no idea what is wrong. [just tired frustration there, thanks for listening]

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, »
I couldn't give it up.  I went back to the EtD.  Started messing around with the Cat5 connector in the MAGJack.  If I apply pressure from the bottom side of the Cat5 connector just right, will get both a yellow and green LED to light up on the MagJack and also the Green LED on the EtD.  Release pressure and the green lights go out.   
Earlier today, I was having issues not being able to get a "Connect" status while using the conductor on the EtD.  I decided to use patch cables I just go from Monoprice to see if things would work.  Sure enough for a 30 sec period or so I had connection but then the green LED on EtD went dead and now I have problems.  Could the patch cables damaged the MAGJack?  Upto that point I had been using my own patch cables and had no issues.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, »
I would reflow the solder joints on the magjack and see what happens.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, »
Reflowed the joints, no luck.  Infact, I can't get the LEDs to turn on now, even if I apply some pressure on the connector while in the MagJack.
I think this board is no longer usable. 

I have a second EtD, but as my days have been going, I can't get this one to program an SS4 using the SS utility.  LEDs on the EtD all turn on though!
I know my SS4 and lights are good as a PIXELNET dongle can program the lights with SS Utility.