Author Topic: active hub fuses  (Read 859 times)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
active hub fuses
« on: September 10, 2013, »
I have been testing my show for weeks now and all of a sudden last night I have four blown fuses. Its ran good this whole time. Is this common? Btw, the four channels are my arches which have 35 lights. Four separate ssc.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, by sirloinofbeef001 »
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: active hub fuses
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
testing my show for weeks now

For weeks now?  What planet are you on.  I have not even created anything new yet.  LOL

The only time I blew fuses was when I was first wiring up my lights and in a hurry made mistakes.  So no this is not normal.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, »
You need to check both the connections and the current draw on those strings.  Did anything move them during your tests, especially just before the one that blew the fuses.  If you are pulling right on the edge of 4 amps most of the time, it can actually fatigue the fuses - especially with the widely varying current draw - and cause them to fail. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, »
I think I've only had this happen when I had a short in my flex strip.  I believe my root cause was wires touching at the end of the strip or something.  Every port (on the hub) I plugged that into blew the fuse.  Now I always stagger cut the wire ends and dip them in liquid electrical tape. 
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, »
I've been having a fuse problems lately as I try to cull from old strings -- the IP66 problems are haunting me.

When I remember to do this, I've been able to avoid the fuse issues by using a bench power supply with shortage protection.  I use a SSCv1 with test firmware, and connect the 12v+ and Ground to the SSC (Data is not needed).  Bad strings will cause the built-in protection to "click" in... and once I splice out the bad pixel and verify I can move the string to a programmed SSC and my pixelnet setup.

Still, I have about 5 fuses to replace...  but all have been explainable by bad strings.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, »
I've used the same set up which exists of
 11 x 75 nodes for my tree
 4 x 35 nodes for the arches.
 the active hub is stationary with the power supply. I checked ( with my magnified lenses ) for wire contacts from the ssc and its just not there. I'm not over any thresholds for power draw. The cat 5 cables are under 15' and the ssc is 2' from the first light.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, »
How much current are they pulling?

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, »
I haven't checked nor do I have any idea how to.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, »
You would need either an Amp meter or a multimeter that measures current.  The better ones do and are capable of measuring around 10A.  To measure the current you need to cut the power lead and connect the positive lead of the multimeter to the hub side and the negative to the device being powered.  This causes the power being used to flow thru the meter and it can measure it.  If you are using the 3 pin waterproof connectors and andhave an extra set, you can use those for your tap.