Author Topic: acrylic tune to sign  (Read 4837 times)

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
acrylic tune to sign
« on: January 21, 2012, »
RJ,

While searching for a post to watch your 2011 video (I always enjoy them. Not sure if your had a show this year), I stumbled onto your Vimeo post about your wife's acrylic desk sign. I really like the use of SS to acomplish the look. I saw something similar in someones yard this year and thought how clever. I sure would like to do a tune to sign like this since I have been using the banners but my family says I never light it properly. Anyway, any thoughts on how best to do it? How big is too big for lighting with SS? (This may not even be an issue since I can place it close to the road) How might the idea be changed to make it weather proof? (Would you still use wood?) Where do you go to get the Acrylic, etching done? etc...

Thanks in advance for your help and for posting your project on Vimeo.

Leon

PS - For those who'd like to see...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Leon

Offline Slite

• Blinky Blinky Lights
Re: acrylic tune to sign
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, »
If Im not misstaken, RJ did the "etching" of the sign on his CnC rig.
Blinky Blinky Lights!

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, »
I am going to do this, have had it planned for about a month. Got the arcylic already sitting waiting. you can light a pretty good size piece with the SS flex strips since as the size gets bigger the amount of leds go up. And the light stays in the material until it hits somethign etched so I am planning a pretty good size one with strip on all four sides in a wood frame. It will be part of the show and leave my RGB grid used for other things then.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, »
after you build your sign, i hope you don't have to change the frequemcy!   >:D
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, »
It could also be done with a dremel with the router stand attached. Just would difficult to get the different height on the dremel setup. Course some people is making a home made cnc machine and using the dremel as the carving motor.

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, »
This is perfect.  I personally wouldn't use a wood frame for outdoors unless you seal the heal out of it.  Nonetheless, great idea and it will look professional....and I'm stealing it as my own.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, »
You could always use pressure treated lumber.  The new stuff looks like regular wood and holds up very well outdoors.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, »
This is perfect.  I personally wouldn't use a wood frame for outdoors unless you seal the heal out of it.  Nonetheless, great idea and it will look professional....and I'm stealing it as my own.

bunches of theives all ya all!

argh!    hehe

Offline tlh

• Patron Member
acrylic tune to sign
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, »
It could also be done with a dremel with the router stand attached. Just would difficult to get the different height on the dremel setup. Course some people is making a home made cnc machine and using the dremel as the carving motor.

This project sounds very similar to my tune to sign. I used a dremel to etch two pieces of plexiglass and lite them with blue and white LEDs. Wish I'd had a cnc machine.
tlh/Terty

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, »
you can get places to engrave for you.

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, »

This project sounds very similar to my tune to sign. I used a dremel to etch two pieces of plexiglass and lite them with blue and white LEDs. Wish I'd had a cnc machine.
tlh/Terty

Me too. Gonna look to see about gettingw something done locally. Yours looks great too. Might want to do smart string as well if you want some color changing. I personally like the way you used multiple layers to allow for different colors together in yours.  :)

Leon
Leon

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
acrylic tune to sign
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, »
Man Terty, you've got some skills with a dremel. Looks cnc engraved in the picture. Excellent job.

Ron

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, »
I agree, would not guess it was by hand at all. Yes this is what I had in mind.

My thought was to do just what you did with two layers each its own lighting of SS and then I could run two different sets of colors.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline CW

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, »

tlh/Terty

Terty,
I like this sign approch but I don't understand the two piece design.  Can you explain a little bit and show some unlit day pictures?

Thanks,

Craig

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, »
I found this place.  I wondered if there would be enough interest to get a couple of signs and get these cheaper.  Here is an email from the owner of the place:

"Our discount works on the number of items that have the same logo/ artwork that ship at the same time to the same location. The text can change from plaque to plaque!"