Author Topic: acrylic tune to sign  (Read 4838 times)

Offline tlh

• Patron Member
Re: acrylic tune to sign
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This project sounds very similar to my tune to sign. I used a dremel to etch two pieces of plexiglass and lite them with blue and white LEDs. Wish I'd had a cnc machine.
tlh/Terry

Terry,
I like this sign approch but I don't understand the two piece design.  Can you explain a little bit and show some unlit day pictures?

Thanks,

Craig

Hi, Everyone-
Somehow I missed these posts, so please forgive the delay getting back with you.  Regarding construction, there are two panels.  The first has "Tune Radio To", "Merry Christmas", and a Christmas Tree. The second panel has the radio station "102.3" and the star tree topper.  The panels are mounted approximately 1/2 inch apart, and surrounded by four strings each of blue and white LEDs (see photo).  With two colors on each panel, the signage can be blended to add variety. It was a lot of work, but I like how it turned out.  I'll try to snap some additional unlit photos if that would help.  Best regards,
tlh/Terry

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, »
CW, how big is the sign that you show in your pictures?  Do you think it is big enough?  What would be your ideal sign size?

Offline ratroder

acrylic tune to sign
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, »
I would be interested in getting one of two of the acrylic signs made if there is enough interest.

I love this idea as well. Was thinking of doing a flex strip scroll grid but I like this much better.

Offline meman

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, »
Terry. thanks for posting more pictures. My coro sign and banners look so weak compared to this. I'm going to have to step it up next year with some lighted signage!

Mike E. 

Offline craig d

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, »
Terry, That is an awsome sign. Are the edges of the plex saw cut or polished? Would it even matter with that many led's around it?  Thanks, Craig d.

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, »
after you build your sign, i hope you don't have to change the frequemcy!   >:D

Great point, having a front piece with the unchanging information then a back piece with the actual frequency number looks like it would make changing the frequency relatively easy.

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2012, »
A product I have used in the past is called StarBoard. It is basically a plastic sheet of plywood. It comes in different sizes and thickness along with several color options. It works identical to wood without the need for special tools. Use this with stainless fasteners and the acrylic will need replacing before the frame.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2012, »
This is a little off topic but as for "Tune to xx.xFM" signs, i found this link

that shows the available frequencies near your home.

sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2012, »
Just my personal opinion but all I want of a sign is to show the radio frequency clearly.  I use the tune to coro signs from holidaycoro.com and they work great.  I have mine built with all incans, but I put them at 50% intensity to keep the power use down and the sign still shows up great out at the road.  The sign is in front of my porch.  I have a second one I plan to build if I ever get the display built to go around the corner of my house (corner lot) and have purchase clear LED mini lights for that one.  I would rather spend my time (and money) on a display element and not a sign.  I've never heard of any viewers exclaiming  "did you see how good/neat that tune to sign was!!!"  LOL
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline thestig

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, »
great info on the sign. I will be building this with my dremel and router attachment later this year. I built gravestones for halloween with the router setup and I am amazed how well they turned out. For the lighting I plan to use the rgb led flex strip that i picked up off of ebay and the cheap dmx controller I picked up from holiday coro.

thanks again for showing us your design

I feel bad for stealing so many great ideas that are posted on here. Maybe someday I will be original and think of something cool myself :)

Grant

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, »
I feel bad for stealing so many great ideas that are posted on here. Maybe someday I will be original and think of something cool myself :)

Imitation is the best form of flattery.  Like you I wish I was creative enough to come up with something original.  But the animated lighting gang is great at sharing which is one of the reasons I belong to so many different forums although I seem to spend all my time on this one.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, »
This is a little off topic but as for "Tune to xx.xFM" signs, i found this link

that shows the available frequencies near your home.

sean

Good practice should be to check this site often to ensure your frequency is still free to use. expecially if you live near a lot of people. New radio stations pop up all the time, and existing ones change ownership (and sometimes frequencies)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline AlanS

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, »
I found this place.  I wondered if there would be enough interest to get a couple of signs and get these cheaper.  Here is an email from the owner of the place:

"Our discount works on the number of items that have the same logo/ artwork that ship at the same time to the same location. The text can change from plaque to plaque!"

I spoke to a Plastic company today to see about the cost of making a sign like this one unsure of the size here I asked to quote at 18"x24". If I just wanted one sign it would be over $100.00 I had asked him about a quanty discount. I was told the price breaks would be at 5, 25, & 50 Sets.

If there is enough intrested people in getting signs made. The estimated cost for a set of front and back would be around $55.00 for 25 sets or for $45.00 each set if 50 sets were ordered.  Shipping is not included. I'm not sure as to the shipping cost because of the size and weight.

Each set would come with 2 signs one with TUNE TO or TUNE RAIDO TO with or without Merry Christmas  and one with the raido freq.  It could have a 2 part logo like the one THL made but if a logo was included it was have to be the same on every sign.

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, »
I think 18x24 is perfect size.  Maybe before we go too far, we should as RJ if we could ask to do a "COOP."  If he says yes, then we could get into the finer details like artwork and shipping costs.

So who wants to ask RJ?

Offline kgustafson

• Coop Manager
    • Lost Weekend Productions
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, »
I will broach it in the COOP Managers area
------
Visit at: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login