Author Topic: Diode's to rectify half wave LED strings?  (Read 2006 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: Diode's to rectify half wave LED strings?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Express is an AC controller and its rectifier is only for the internal power supply used to power the onboard components.  It has no effect on the outputs.
Hmmm, So then how does the Light Normalization Technology and "light curves" work?

While the full explanation goes beyond what is desired as far as technical discussions in the forum, the over simplified answer is that light normalization and the curves are done with tables that RJ sets up in the processor memory.  These tables tell the Express when to switch on the triacs for specific DMX values during the AC curve.  It has nothing to do with the rectifier. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rm357

Diode's to rectify half wave LED strings?
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, »
The outputs of the express are AC at household voltages.

All of the other stuff is part of the control circuitry. The PIC runs at 3.3 VDC and some of the other stuff runs at 5 VDC, but these voltages are not available for output.
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline urthegman

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, »
Ah, I see. So I guess I should pay attention to this thread because most of my LEDs are half-wave and I would LOVE to convert them. Thanks everyone! Are there any tutorials or how to's that anyone can recommend?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, by urthegman »

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, »
For what it is worth, here is a previous topic on this subject

Here's a video that you can design your own rectifier.  I personally bought 250 of these diodes for $.04 or $.16 for each rectifier.  I don't know if it works because I haven't had time to make one yet.  But, I ordered too many because once the string is rectified, anything else plugged into that string will be rectified.  I'm personally going to rectify each of my 16 outputs on my LE using a little stub extension cord then plug in my lights after that.  This way no matter what I change, it will always be rectified.  And, if I need to remove it, I can do so easily.

Hope this helps.  This is true DIY here.

Offline rm357

Diode's to rectify half wave LED strings?
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, »
Cool.

Just a few thoughts:
- be careful about the current rating of the diodes, you don't want to start a fire or burn out the diodes
- depending on the string, you will probably need to modify it to get it to work right
- remember that you are still dealing with high voltage, be careful and stay safe

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline DanHouston

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, »
For what it is worth, here is a previous topic on this subject

Here's a video that you can design your own rectifier.  I personally bought 250 of these diodes for $.04 or $.16 for each rectifier.  I don't know if it works because I haven't had time to make one yet.  But, I ordered too many because once the string is rectified, anything else plugged into that string will be rectified.  I'm personally going to rectify each of my 16 outputs on my LE using a little stub extension cord then plug in my lights after that.  This way no matter what I change, it will always be rectified.  And, if I need to remove it, I can do so easily.

Hope this helps.  This is true DIY here.

Thanks!
2011 - Year #1
    4000 lights and 16 channels
    5 Songs sequenced
2012 - Year #2
    5000 lights and 123 channels
    8 Songs sequenced