Author Topic: Making Smart String Nodes strings with consistent node spacing.  (Read 3719 times)

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
I wired tied my nodes to paracord similar to Joe, but instead of putting them parallel to the rope, mine were at 90 degrees. This put all the nodes pointing outward.

First I straightened the wire between nodes so that it was flat and all the nodes were pointing the same direction. Then, I laid a wire tie along the side of the node and wrapped a second wire tie around the node and the first wire tie. I wrapped the first wire tie around the paracord and pulled it tight. This held them very well. I tried to slide some on the rope to adjust the spacing and could barely move them.

If you pull the cord tight and measure the spacing, you can get them all pretty even. Ideally you want the cord the same tightness as it will be on your tree. Since my nodes were 3-3.75" spacing, I used 3" spacing.

I thought the nodes may twist a lot, but the weight of the node and the wire held them fairly straight. They would twist a little in the wind, but not enough to be noticeable in the dark.

Rick

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
but if you pointed them all out away from the center of the tree, some nodes will point away from the audience, and the node can't illuminate in all directions
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline John K

What about plumbers vinyl straping? It has holes every 1/2 inch or so. And you could face every node (or every other node) the same way. 
This dose have its drawbacks. As Chrisatpsu stated above as far as viewing in all directions but this may be used in other applications.
I plan on testing a strip this winter to see how it will hold up in Chicago winters.

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
but if you pointed them all out away from the center of the tree, some nodes will point away from the audience, and the node can't illuminate in all directions

Actually the nodes on the back of the tree can still be seen from the front and the effects can be seen from any angle. I believe this makes spirals and other effects look better.