Author Topic: Pic Help  (Read 2113 times)

Offline sebjsan

• Sebastian from California
Pic Help
« on: October 16, 2012, »
Trying to program my sshub, but dont know which pic to use.
Sebastian from California

Offline njKeever

Re: Pic Help
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, »
Can you be more specific about what exactly you are doing, and what exactly the issue is? Also, have you referenced these links?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, »
For example, the etherdongle requires the following (Select "PIC32MX795F512L" from the "Device:" drop down list.). What is the pic for the sshub?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, »
For example, the etherdongle requires the following (Select "PIC32MX795F512L" from the "Device:" drop down list.). What is the pic for the sshub?

This chart shows them all:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline sebjsan

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, »
Fantastic! Thanks Steve

Offline deplanche

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, »
I've stuggled with this before too, because you don't need the jumpers for many of the boards, so I don't look there.  Could this information be added to the wiki or the assembly manual for each board, so it is easier to find?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, »
I've stuggled with this before too, because you don't need the jumpers for many of the boards, so I don't look there.  Could this information be added to the wiki or the assembly manual for each board, so it is easier to find?

Sure the info can be added. Here is the real problem. With the pickit2 program it identifies the correct pic (of course it won't work with the etherdongle pic). So why can't microchip get the pickit3 program to identify the pic?? Maybe we could ask a member who also works for microchip that question.

I guess the short term answer is to add the info.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline injury

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, »
I just look on my order from Mouser or hte bom in the wiki if the printing on the chip itself isn't very clear. But yes it would be nice for the pickit 3 to auto identify, it can tell when you've got the wrong one as it is.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, »
If you can get at least the first part of the PIC address correct, it will come up with an error message and the correct, full PIC ID for you. (like PIC24F...... and just pick the first one).

Though I like the chart listed above. I was always going back to the BOM.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, »
I added the PIC info to the equipment page of each current active item.

Hope that helps

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)

Offline deplanche

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, »
Thanks.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, »

Sure the info can be added. Here is the real problem. With the pickit2 program it identifies the correct pic (of course it won't work with the etherdongle pic). So why can't microchip get the pickit3 program to identify the pic?? Maybe we could ask a member who also works for microchip that question.

I guess the short term answer is to add the info.

Rick R.

It doesn't identify them becauseit isn't the same device.  Don't tink that the Pickit-3 is an advanced Pickit-2, it isn't.  The Pickit-2 is a PIC programmer and the Pickit-3 is a combination device that incorporates the ability to program PIC's like the Pikit-2 and the inline diagnostic capability of one of there big dollar devices. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, »

It doesn't identify them becauseit isn't the same device.  Don't tink that the Pickit-3 is an advanced Pickit-2, it isn't.  The Pickit-2 is a PIC programmer and the Pickit-3 is a combination device that incorporates the ability to program PIC's like the Pikit-2 and the inline diagnostic capability of one of there big dollar devices.

So you now work for microchip?

Still the program is Beta and it doesn't fully work. Its been in beta for a while now and it sure would be nice if they updated the program. Microchip lists both devices as a debugger

I never said that I "tink" what the pickit3 was an advanced pickit2.

Rick R.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, »
Not once in this thread did I see a mention that this was an active hub.  Probably a safe assumption, but let's not forget that there are multiple types of sshubs and only one has a microchip.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline injury

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, »
and only one has a microchip.