Author Topic: SSC Pigtail Failure  (Read 1756 times)

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
SSC Pigtail Failure
« on: December 16, 2011, »
I have 16 Northpoles in my display.   Each is supported on a sleeve of 1" PVC hammered into the lawn. I must have hammered one through a sprinkler line  <fp. because the gardener was here today and turned on the sprinklers when he left. All was well until that particular line pressured up and needless to say a giant mud projectile shot up into the pole followed by a massive geyser of water and more mud. Long story short the pigtail shorted out and burned up some of the conductors.  I figured the fuse in the hub had blown but it was fine.  Cut the pigtail off and crimped on a new end added a coupler and was back in business.

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Re: SSC Pigtail Failure
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, »
You maybe able to clean the pigtail and remove the black build-up.  I tried that on a few of mine and it worked.  Like you, I have a very wet area and think I am going to remove the pigtails all together.

See this thread for other thoughts.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, »
Two of the pins are completely burned off. I just cut it off and crimped a new end on and added a monoprice coupler.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, »
hopefully you fixed the broken water line   :o

course, now that would be a nice effect of water shooting up in the yard (minus the smoke)
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline bwhite505

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, »
Water line is on the to do for Saturday.  Wish I could have seen the pole lift off when it came on.  Have to go back and see if we caught on the security cameras.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, »
I have to say it doesn't surprise me

Pigs don't like to get a bath and neither do pigtails  ;D  <fp.

(Hey its Friday, its been a long difficult week…. thats my story and I am sticking to it)

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, »
I pulled out the 5 smart strings I was having trouble with this winter to test before putting them away and they all worked perfectly.  Looks like they had enough time to dry out.    ;D