Author Topic: Pixelnet active hub connections (SOLVED)  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Mimir

Pixelnet active hub connections (SOLVED)
« on: November 28, 2012, »
I am having some trouble with my pixel tree.  When I tested it in the house, I had the ether dongle connected to one active hub set to pixelnet universe 1.  when I setup stuff outside, I have two active hubs.  Both of them are set to pixelnet universe 1.  The first one has 9 DSC controllers hooked up to it with starting addresses of 1269 to 1296 and it seems to be working just fine.  The ether dongle (flashed with the pixelnet firmware) is connected to the pixelnet input on this hub.  The second hub is connected from one of the pixelnet out of hub 1 to the pixelnet in on hub 2.  I have 12 SSC's connected to hub 2 with starting addresses from 513 to 1206.  None of the smart strings are responding.  Both hubs have the power light on. 

My question is if my setup should work.  Can both hubs be set to pixelnet universe 1?

Thanks

John
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, by Mimir »

Offline peteandvanessa

Re: Pixelnet active hub connections
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, »
Yes it shpould work fine

Both hubs should respond to any commands sent to channels 1- 4096

What happends if you switch the lights from Hub 1 to Hub 2, they should still work when you switch them over.

Offline Mimir

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, »
When I get home, I am going to pull hub 2 into the house and test it inside again. I will check the fuses and all that.  I have a couple spare SSC and one spare DSC.

Thanks for confirming that my setup should be working as is.

John

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, »
I have two hubs setup for the same universe and they work fine.  I have been playing with nutcracker effects for my pixel tree which will eventually be universe 2, but since Nutcracker generates vixen sequences now starting at channel 1, I have just been running them to see what I like and would like to change.  At the same time on my other hub I have my 4 window frames and for awhile I programmed the window frame sscs to all have a start channel of 1.  I could play back a nutcracker effect and see it on my pixel tree and also see a mirror image on channel 1 on each of my window frames.  Your SSC address range seems awful small to me.  I have 8 SSCs on my pixel tree with 8 flexstrips attached and my addresses go from 1 to 2880.  You must have a very small node count.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Mimir

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, »
Yeah, I call it my mini mega.  12 strings of 21 pixels each.

and then 27 channels of DSC's on the roof line.

Offline Mimir

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, »
I brought the errant active hub into the house tonight and it seems to be fine.  I put my spare DSC and it worked exactly like it should no matter which of the 16 ports it was plugged into.  Tomorrow after work, I am going to see if I can connect the pixelnet up exactly the way that it should be outside to see if that makes any difference.

John

Offline rm357

Pixelnet active hub connections
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, »
Check jumpers
Replace ethernet cable between hubs
Check voltages on second hub - make sure it has both 5 and12 volts
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, »
Check the output of the first hub or change to the other output

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Mimir

Re: Pixelnet active hub connections (SOLVED)
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, »
 :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[

I found and fixed the problem!  It helps when the data cable between the two hubs doesn't have one of the ends on backwards  <md..

I redid the end that was wrong, hooked everything back up and  <yk.. Off it went to blinking and flashing!

Now all I have are my arches, little trees, laser, and info sign to get power. 

Thanks for the quick responses from everyone!

John