Author Topic: Any idea why?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline TheQueb

Any idea why?
« on: November 28, 2012, »
I made eight fasteddy coro canes for the display this year.  Each has 8 rectangular nodes and the whole lot of 64 nodes is on one SSC.  When I'm hooked up to my tester only the first 11 nodes light up. When I'm hooked up to the active hub and an SSC I get the same result.  Here's the kicker though. I have pigtails in and out of eack cane so that I can swap ot canes pretty easily. No matter what canes I put first, second, third, etc I get the same result. Only the first 11 nodes light...

Offline zwiller

Re: Any idea why?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, »
A little more detail please. 

Try a SSC with test firmware.  So far my guess is when you programmed your start channel you only chose 11 channels instead of 64...
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, »
When it's plugged onto my Ray Wu tester (th2012-x) it does the same thing. Almost acts like it runs out of juice but I'm using a pc power supply and it runs my other elements fine.  I've tried a spare SSC that I programmed right before bringing it out to test and I know I did 64 on it.  I'll try the test firmware idea and let you know.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, »
How long is the wire when it leaves the last node on the first Coro Cane and then connects to the first node on the next cane?
For that matter, what are the distances between pixels for the whole arrangement? Are any wires longer than 2 feet? 3 feet?

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, »
The SSC to first node is maybe a foot. Between canes though is about 8 foot. I wanted some flexibility in placement. Node spacing in each cane is about 4 inches.

I just hooked up my test SSC and I don't get anything at all with it though I'm not powering it with my active hub. I'm using another power supply but when I hook up the th2010-x I get a good test pattern as long as I don't hook up more than one cane. When I do that I get all of the first cane and one pixel on the second cane to light no matter what order i put them in.

Offline injury

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, »
try shortening that 8 foot wire between first and second and see if it changes. Back in the day RJ mentioned 3ft was about the max to go between nodes. I did read someone successfully did 6 ft on some candy canes and based on that I have built a kind of luminary strand of 20 rectangles with 6 ft spacings between about 9 of them and it is working but I also realized I was out beyond what the designer recommended so was prepared to shorten up the spacing if I had issues.

I imagine the quality of cable could impact it as well. For instance I soldered in 3 conductor stranded antenna rotator wire which is a bigger gauge than cat 5 plus I have no connectors in each break.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, »
I have 5 fasteddy corocanes, and was planning on them having their own ssc
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rm357

Any idea why?
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, »
What type of wire are you using between the canes?
Did you get the 3 conductor cable from Ray, or are you using something else?
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline TheQueb

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
try shortening that 8 foot wire between first and second and see if it changes. Back in the day RJ mentioned 3ft was about the max to go between nodes. I did read someone successfully did 6 ft on some candy canes and based on that I have built a kind of luminary strand of 20 rectangles with 6 ft spacings between about 9 of them and it is working but I also realized I was out beyond what the designer recommended so was prepared to shorten up the spacing if I had issues.

I imagine the quality of cable could impact it as well. For instance I soldered in 3 conductor stranded antenna rotator wire which is a bigger gauge than cat 5 plus I have no connectors in each break.

I shortened it to about 3 ft and the standalone tester works now (with the 2 canes I tested) but the test SSC has alot of flicker on the second cane

What type of wire are you using between the canes?
Did you get the 3 conductor cable from Ray, or are you using something else?

I have some 16awg 3 conductor that I used. Overkill I think but it's something I had access to.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, »
do you have any spare nodes?

try splicing one in the middle, then taping it up so it doesn't emit light. that way the node can carry on the signal to the next rectangle.

however, it will jump up the the channels of the next rectangles by 3 channels
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, »
Not exactly sure how it works but the programming utility allows for null nodes. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, »
Not exactly sure how it works but the programming utility allows for null nodes.

I think that only works for the first node in the series; however, grouping them might allow you to use null nodes at each location...not just at the beginning of the string.

HIH,
-Keith

Offline injury

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, »
I just hooked up my test SSC and I don't get anything at all with it though I'm not powering it with my active hub.

Oh also try the test SSC with the Active Hub just like did inside. It could be the other power supply isn't pushing enough amps.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, »
In my "future" design for some Smart String lighted poles, the number of pixels would be small enough that I could use one SSC for 2 poles.

But, because of the distance between some of the poles, I am going to use one SSC per pole. Two reasons - first, medium to long runs of wire degrade the data signal between pixels; second - much easier to replace a single pole (or candy cane) when something happens. I have cats that love LED lights. Not my cats, but they don't seem to care.