Author Topic: first timer working with rgb. please help.  (Read 1810 times)

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
first timer working with rgb. please help.
« on: November 30, 2012, »
usb dongle flashed with pixelnet, active hub , ssc v2 no mods. when i go into the ss utility, i am able to choose the amount of nodes, transmit, and all the nodes flash in white. when i do this the program jumper is making contact with both pins, i then move the jumper to only be on one pin. when i go into vixen, i set up a test profile with the amount of rgb channels, i have the pixelnet plugin installed in the plugin/output folder.  but when i go to channel test. i am not getting anything to my nodes? where do we start? thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

thanks

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline hicksjo

Re: first timer working with rgb. please help.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, »
Did you remove power from the ssc between programming and testing?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, »
For a quick test. You can try the color finder program in the wiki. All you have to do for the USB dongle is to tell it what com port you are using and then it will output what ever color you want by three sliders. That way you should know if you have a hardware or software problem. If color finder works then it just a setup problem with Vixen.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, »
power was continuous to the hub. the ssc was disconnected after the programming. i tried color finder and it still shows nothing

duane
Florence, KY

sjb

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, »
You are starting at channel 1 in Vixen and the SSC is programmed for the same start channel?

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, »
You are starting at channel 1 in Vixen and the SSC is programmed for the same start channel?

yes, i  created a profile with the same number of rgb channels and created a sequence to test with and still nothing.
Florence, KY

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, »
Don't know if it matters, but I always remove power before switching the jumper.  Make sure you are using the correct SS utility to program.  For V2 un-modded, you need the first/original program without the grouping capability.

HIH,
-Keith

sjb

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, »
With it flashing when you were programming it, this sounds to me that you have the connections set properly. But it is Vixen that is not set properly. Have you confirmed that the channel in Vixen are enabled and also that the dongle settings (port #, baud rate) are set properly and that it is enabled?

Steve

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, »
Also in Vixen make sure checkbox for plugin is checked and channel #'s assigned.  Those always got me...
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, »
Don't know if it matters, but I always remove power before switching the jumper.  Make sure you are using the correct SS utility to program.  For V2 un-modded, you need the first/original program without the grouping capability.

HIH,
-Keith

the ss utility that i am using is version 1.0

With it flashing when you were programming it, this sounds to me that you have the connections set properly. But it is Vixen that is not set properly. Have you confirmed that the channel in Vixen are enabled and also that the dongle settings (port #, baud rate) are set properly and that it is enabled?

Steve

new profile just for the pixelnet. all channels enabled.

baud rate 115,200
parity  none
data bits  8
stop bits  1 
com port 2
emtec usb pro

if i run one of my other sequences with the usb donble flashed for dmx everything works fine. do i need to set something different in vixen when the dongle is flashed for pixelnet?

duane
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, by duane.mosley »
Florence, KY

sjb

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, »
I have never done this before so someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all that you have to change is,
1) uncheck the the entec USB plugin in your out put plugin
2) Select the pixelnet plug in and set it up with the settings. (Make sure it is checked to enable

And that is it.

Offline hicksjo

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, »
sjb - that is correct

duane - you indicate emtec USB pro .. if you are using that plugin you won't get pixlenet output

you need to switch to pixelnet output plugin

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, »
I have never done this before so someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all that you have to change is,
1) uncheck the the entec USB plugin in your out put plugin
2) Select the pixelnet plug in and set it up with the settings. (Make sure it is checked to enable

And that is it.

STEVE, YOU DA MAN!!!!  lol i didn't have the pixelnet plugin chosen in the plug in set up. now for the fun part. i wanted to use the usb dongle to check my active hub and smart strings. now that i know they all work, time to get the etherdongle and conductor working. thanks again for all your assistance. i am sure i will be back here in a few with progress on the etherdongle.

thanks

duane
Florence, KY

sjb

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, »
Duane, That is awesome. Glad I could help.

Can I ask a favor though. Can you remember this, because whenever I am able to get into RGB I will probably do the same thing and I will need your help.

Have fun.

Steve

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, »
Duane, That is awesome. Glad I could help.

Can I ask a favor though. Can you remember this, because whenever I am able to get into RGB I will probably do the same thing and I will need your help.

Have fun.

Steve

i will help in any way that i can. i just hope that when the time comes, that i have gained the knowledge to return the favor. guys like you are what this forum is all about and that is why i like it here. i must say, it is pretty darn cool watching the rgb do their thing. i just had a random sequence set up to see them work. i was so excited i ran in and got the wife to show her! lol i'm not sure if i am going to try and tackle nutcracker yet. i think i am just going to do some basic stuff with the rgb this year and see what happens. this is my first year and i haven't been able to spend much time on the rgb because i have been spending all my time building elements(mega tree, 8 mini trees, 2 arches 3 colors each and 8 snowflakes 2 colors each) and just learning basic sequencing. needless to say this has been one really busy fall!

thanks again and call on me any time

duane
Florence, KY