Author Topic: White lockup with extra 330 or 150 resistor attached. ***Fixed***  (Read 1314 times)

Offline tthompson

I flashed all my SS nodes with the test software and have run through 16 smart strings.

all give me a solid white if the jumper is on, and a solid red if the jumper is off.

I have most SS controllers with 150 ohm resistors swapped out for the 330s and some have the extra 330 soldered to the back.

I have tried with 2 different smart string hubs and got the same results.

I would have to believe that I'm not doing something correct over all 16 strands being bad.

while I didn't follow the exact yellow/green, brown, blue pattern, I did match up each side so brown goes to red (+) yellow/green goes to green (-) and blue goes to blue (data).  From what I can tell, as long as I keep those straight, it should be fine.

any suggestions?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, by tthompson »

Offline fyb2000

Re: White lockup with extra 330 or 150 resistor attached.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, »
I am using the same cabling order than you, and have not seen this problem. The solid white is normal (if I remember correctly), but not the solid red.
3 things:
1/ Are your SSC modified with the v3 mod completely or did you only replace the resistor
2/ Are you sure you are using the test firmware that goes with your version of SSCs?
3/ When programmed with the regular firmware, and configured for their channel numbers (and more), how are the SSC behaving with your sequencer?

Offline tthompson

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, »
I just modified the resistor.  I left out that these are V1 SSCs.

Yes, I am sure I am using the correct test firmware.  I also tried programming with the production firmware with no success.  When I use the SSC address tool, the strings light up all white.

When I start a sequence, it will take the first signal that is given to it and it freezes.  red, green, any color between.  it stays there until I unplug it.

Offline hicksjo

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
and some have the extra 330 soldered to the back.

Where did you put a 330 ohm resistor on the back?  Got any photos?

did match up each side so brown goes to red (+) yellow/green goes to green (-) and blue goes to blue (data). 

Again, any pictures?

Offline tthompson

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, »
pics of front and back

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, »
I am guessing you are using v1 firmware?

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tthompson

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, »
yes.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login <<< Test
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login <<< Production

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, »
The smart string utility is 'v1' also, right? I don't think the latest goodies (grouping...) work with anything else than v3 (but I can be wrong).
Is there anything else that your HUB controls (like a LE)? If yes, how are those responding?

Offline tthompson

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, »
Yes, I am using v1 utility.  nothing else is attached. 

So I am going to modify one of them to version 3, but my question is Do I keep the "150ohm resistor/double 330 ohm" or do we just use the single 330 ohm or does it matter?

TimT.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, »
Yes, I am using v1 utility.  nothing else is attached. 

So I am going to modify one of them to version 3, but my question is Do I keep the "150ohm resistor/double 330 ohm" or do we just use the single 330 ohm or does it matter?

TimT.

You want the 330 ohm when going to v3

If it doesn't make a difference that I think you have a node(s) problem.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tthompson

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, »
Thanks Rick.

Everything is working like a charm now with the version 3 mod!

I made the modification and as I like living life on the edge, I didn't wait for a response and tried it with double 330s and everything worked perfect.

I went ahead and removed the 2nd 330 ohm and it works just as well.

I will go ahead and make the change back to the single 330 ohm and version 3 modification to the rest.

I will chalk the problems I had up to having the version1 SSC and waiting a year to order the pixels from Ray. 

Either way, thanks everyone for listening and to recap my problem for anyone that sees the same problem.

SSC v1 controller would lock up on test or regular firmware with or without the 150ohm modification.

The solution is to make the version 3 modification which you should have already done anyway.

Happy Lighting.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, »
in the mod instructions, they mention about keeping the resistor in the range of 240-330 ohms.  when you "double up" a resistor, you are halving the resistance (two 330ohm resistors in parallel equals 165 ohms)

one of the intentions of the v3 mod was to address the issue you were having in the original post.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!