Author Topic: More strange behavior  (Read 1292 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
More strange behavior
« on: December 05, 2012, »
I have a string on my tree that is not working.  It is not the port as I can move other strings to it and they work, so it is not a fuse.  The strange thing is, if I plug this string into the hub, 2 or 3 other string stop responding.  They freeze in the state they were in when I plugged the non-working string in.  Unplug it, and the other string start working again.  This string has worked fine in the past.  We have had some rain, but nothing today.  I swear...the gremlins are about to wi. :'(

Ideas?

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline hicksjo

Re: More strange behavior
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, »
I had some strange behavior with one string on my tree as well, very similar to what you described ... In addition the subject string cycled through random colors occasionally

I stumbled on the solution when trying different ports and sscs ... Turned out to be a bad cat5 connection

I make my own patch cables with bulk cable and rj45 connectors
Apparently I somehow shorted the two data wires together within the connector and it was causing all kinds of trouble

When I removed that cable and corrected the connector all was fine

Hope you have similar luck resolving

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, »
The corrosion X arrives tomorrow so I will be cleaning and then coating all of my connections.  I am hoping that will resolve this issue.  I need to get my cleaning sticks made tonight so they will be ready tomorrow.  Hopefully the rain will hold off long enough for me to get it done.

Thanks for the feedback.  I guess misery really does love company   ;D
-Keith

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, »
That looks like you have a short on the input of the SSC.  I would try removing the RS485 from that SSC and see what happens.  I would also look at the RJ45 pigtail jack and make sure that there isn't anything in it causing a short.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, »
I had the same issue with one of my SSCs.  When connected to the hub, three other ports would stop working.  I simply replaced the SSC since I didn't want to risk damaging the hub and don't really have time to troubleshoot right now. 

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I had the same issue with one of my SSCs.  When connected to the hub, three other ports would stop working.  I simply replaced the SSC since I didn't want to risk damaging the hub and don't really have time to troubleshoot right now.

Did that fix it?  I may go ahead and replace it when I do my cleaning and waterproofing today.  I think this string had a V2/3 controller on it and I made those interchangeable/replaceable.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, »
Yes, replacing the SSC fixed the issue.  I haven't had any real issues since then.  I am seeing one flex string not update the last few pixels all of the time, but am running all v1 SSC.  I plan to upgrade to v3 this summer.  For now, I just have to live with the fact my mega tree isn't perfect.  Not easy to do.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, »
If any of you guys need SSCv2 boards I have extras. 

Mick, I would try a v3 SSC on that flex strip giving you issues.  My flex strips never liked v1 or v2. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, »
Hi All

Long time no post.
Didn't do a show this year, but did put up my Smart String tree.
I had the same issue start a week ago.
I have 5 strands and suddenly 2 didn't  work.
After some testing, I finally figure out I had one that just would not work, and another that would instantly freeze whenever the one that never worked was plugged in.
Talk about confusing.
After testing and cleaning literally everthing, I finally reflashed the chip on the ssc.

Works great now... Go figure

Also FYI mine are version 1
Boucher Family Lights
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, »
I disconnected all my strings on my tree (about 4 V3 and 12 V1) and cleaned the input contacts as best as I could.  I sprayed Corrosion X on them and then reassembled and waterproofed with a zip tied balloon.  So far no other trouble...well except for a critter that crawled into one controller and  <md.. shorted out the 5V regulator on one string.    I am assuming I had a data issue due to corrosion.  Just not sure why it affected other strings.  I didn't re-flash any of the controllers.  The strings have been pretty solid.  If my DMX stuff was half as reliable, I would be set.   <wd..

Thanks,
-Keith