Author Topic: Painting Smart String Wires  (Read 1159 times)

Offline lboucher

• Boucher Family Lights
Painting Smart String Wires
« on: July 23, 2011, »
Hi All

Not sure if anyone cares to do this, but I was about too.
I was going to put my nodes on a white display item and thus wanted to paint the wires white to match.
I have since changed my mind about the display so i no longer need to do this.

I was thinking, since the nodes have a slot so they can be mounted.
Why not make a jig, so that you can slide all the nodes on, and dip into a can of paint.
Quick easy way to paint the wire and let it dry without making a mess.

If anyone out there has access to a laser cutter, they might want to knock a dozen of these out and post them if other people want them.

RJ was nice enough to measure the nodes as I don't have a pair of calipers.
It looks to me as the nodes are designed for a thickness of material of no more than about .080 inch and the hole needs to be about .460 inch for them to lock into.

So maybe a 29/64" bit might do it?
Boucher Family Lights
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: Painting Smart String Wires
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, »
Has anyone tried this?  I was thinking about possibly using some smart strings and or dumb strings next year on some wire frames.  Unfortunately my personality just wouldn't work unless the wires were painted to match the frame. :)

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, »
Hey it DIY

So if you want to paint the wires go for it. Just be concern if you need to splice out a node or two.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, »
Understood. 

I know the paint can be tacky for about a week but I was just wondering if anyone had any luck. 

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, »
I would be more concern with the flexibility of the paint.

Some automotive paint, the stuff that goes on the bumper covers, is flexible.  After that, I really don't know.  Maybe it isn't an issue, but might be worth some testing before you jump 2 feet first.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, »
I use plastic paint on wires. In some cases it bonds well and others it will come off on you everytime you handle it. I'd take a defective section or a small section to test with before doing lots of nodes to only find out it dosen't work like you want.

Best place to get the paint is Wal Mart. I have found them to be the least expensive.

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, »
I use plastic paint on wires. In some cases it bonds well and others it will come off on you everytime you handle it. I'd take a defective section or a small section to test with before doing lots of nodes to only find out it dosen't work like you want.

Best place to get the paint is Wal Mart. I have found them to be the least expensive.

I have used plastic paint as well on mini strings.  Some work well and some take some time to dry.

Walmart might be the cheapest but make sure you are buying a good brand.  I bought some spray paint from there and the amount of coverage was poor compared to other brands.

Offline mitch09

Painting Smart String Wires
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, »
This year I used black  plasti-dip spray. I just pushed the nodes into some soft cardboard and sprayed the wires and base of the nodes. Works great. I'll try to get a pick tomorrow.

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, »
Pics are always nice.  Thanks