Hardware > Lynx EtherDongle

EtherDongle and older hardware compatibility

<< < (2/5) > >>

rrowan:
Hi CourtBard,

I have no idea what you are getting at?????

where do you see $85 for a SSC? (more like $8.00 per SSC)

Rick R.

jeffcoast:
I am not suggesting that I need this, but an idea I just got from reading this. Wouldn't it be possible to design a hub that would split up 1 pixelnet universe into 8 different universes of DMX? Like have 8 RJ45 outputs and you could plug into them. Or even to go further, have a splitter for the 4 universes of pixelnet into 32 DMX outputs on one board. The only issue I would see would be cost with not having that many people needing such an item to have the PCBs made to spread it out through.

rrowan:
I am starting to think I was wrong about pushing for the etherdongle to have both a pixelnet and dmx firmware

It was simple with just the pixelnet firmware and force folks to use the ss hub(s) to get the dmx out. Seems trying to include folks without pixelnet hardware (i.e.: dmx only controllers) is causing more problems. Just because a device can output 2048 dmx channels does not mean you have to use all of those channels. That is like complaining to your vehicle manufacture that it has too much horse power and you can't red line the engine the whole time the engine is on. I thought it would be nice for folks not have to buy/build a SS hub and just use a combiner which is much cheaper

btw: this is just my personal opinion and it has nothing to do with being part of the DLA staff.

My apologies to RJ

Rick R.

rrowan:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginI am not suggesting that I need this, but an idea I just got from reading this. Wouldn't it be possible to design a hub that would split up 1 pixelnet universe into 8 different universes of DMX? Like have 8 RJ45 outputs and you could plug into them. Or even to go further, have a splitter for the 4 universes of pixelnet into 32 DMX outputs on one board. The only issue I would see would be cost with not having that many people needing such an item to have the PCBs made to spread it out through.

--- End quote ---

Jeff how do you figure 8 dmx universes out of one pixelnet universe?

The EtherDongle with DMX firmware does 2048 channels which equals 4 DMX universes
Why would RJ spend hundreds of dollars to design and produce another board when the combine already does it?

Rick R.

RJ:
I'm sorry but I do not understand the question, When you say is that the recommended way to handle the channels?

The etherdongle simples creates either 16,384 channels of pixelnet or 2,048 channels of DMX. There is no recommended way to use them. You use how ever many of them you need to run your controllers. If a person has 4 expresses he only needs 64 channels. But many users are using in the thousands already so it gives them a away to handle the larger channel counts easier and less costly than a bunch of standard dongles. 

RJ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version