Author Topic: New RGB node from Ray?  (Read 5199 times)

Offline pokey

New RGB node from Ray?
« on: March 06, 2012, »

I was daydreaming about what I could order from Ray next...just need the wife to disappear for a week to get the order in unnoticed.  While browsing his store, I stumbled across an LED string with nodes with a much smaller profile than the original smart strings.  They look like they are a bit cheaper, and they have some sort of chip on 'em.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Anyone?

sjb

Re: New RGB node from Ray?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, »
They are 5 volt though. Would they work?

Steve

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, »
It's real simple, first note the voltage. It's 5v the pixels we use are +12v. No need for any further research at that point.

They are pretty cool however.

Offline Penfold

• Brownsville, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, »
I know that we use 12v to power smart strings but the SSCs have me confused in that regard.  There is a 5V regulator and a 3.3V regulator on these controllers.  I thought that you could control a 12V or a 5V because of the regulators on the controller.  Did I totally miss the mark on this?
♪Chicken go cluck, cluck
Cow go moo
Piggy go *snort* *snort*
how bout you?  ♪

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, »
The voltage regulators are for the on board parts like the rs-485 chip and the micro controller (pic)

The output of the SSC is still 12 volts

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, »
The nodes use a 6803 chip (4 wire protocol). I would just stick to the items in the wiki. If you do venture off the ranch RGB lights must be made with TM18XX chips to even be considered. Then they still might not work with SSC's.

For example, Ray sells a 5M strip that can be cut but the light ordering is wrong. For each group of 3 LEDS the data is reversed. So what looks good on paper may not be usable.

Offline rwave

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, »

I was daydreaming about what I could order from Ray next...just need the wife to disappear for a week to get the order in unnoticed.  While browsing his store, I stumbled across an LED string with nodes with a much smaller profile than the original smart strings.  They look like they are a bit cheaper, and they have some sort of chip on 'em.

Anyone?

I noticed one picture had the wires coming out the bottom (bad) and other pictures coming out the side (good).  Anyone know which is going to be the production configuration?  Also, if they can make a 5V version, they should be able to do it in 12V as well.  Comments?

Richard (from SoCal)   :)

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, »
for nodes to work with the smart string controllers

they MUST use a TM1804, TM1809, or TM1812 IC chip to work.
the TM1803 chip will not work.

ok, after that, it needs to use 12v DC power

ok, after that, it just depends on the the color order for being compatible with rj's firware...

things to consider, items with more or less led's you still will need to worry about maximum current on a string.
for example, the rectangle nodes have 3 led's per module with a maximum of 80 can be on a ssc
if theres a version that has 4 leds, then you're limited to using 60 modules.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline rm357

New RGB node from Ray?
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, »
I don't want to be redundant, but I do not want to risk creating confusion.

These LEDs are not compatible with the smartstring hardware. There may be some others that have come up with an interface that will work, but they are not currently available through DLA.

The strings that are compatible with the smartstring hardware are listed in the wiki. Other strings should not be listed as that would cause confusion. Use of strings not listed in the wiki are at your own risk - meaning that they probably will not work...

I tried the 4 led square nodes (1804 chip) - they work, but they have a red tint at full on which is obvious next to the other nodes. When used by themselves, they look fine. I don't think they should be added to the wiki as I would be disappointed to get them and see that there is a significant difference in the color from the other items on the wiki.

RM

Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, »
If you do venture off the ranch RGB lights must be made with TM18XX chips to even be considered. Then they still might not work with SSC's.

For example, Ray sells a 5M strip that can be cut but the light ordering is wrong. For each group of 3 LEDS the data is reversed. So what looks good on paper may not be usable.

dpitts, you mentioned in another post that you ordered and successfully tested the TM1812 flat strips (4 pixels per IC chip) that Ray sells. The WIKI only references the TM1809 flat strips (3 pixels per IC chip). I have hopefully concluded that the 09 means 9 output channels (3 RGB) and that 12 means 12 output channels (4 RGB), but that's about it. Fewer IC chips per meter could make it slightly cheaper.

Is there any advantage that anyone knows?  (TM1809 versus TM1812)  Cost that I see now is close enough to not matter, but perhaps the TM1812 is faster? more reliable? etc... ???

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, »
Not sure about the naming convention. The TM1804 kinda blows your theory, since it has 3 outputs.

Advantages:
You can cut the TM1812 strips on any 4 node boundary.

Disadvantages:
The TM1812 strips are 32 LEDS per meter. The extra 8 LEDS cannot be controlled by SSC firmware. I believe 120 pixels is max for strips. Also the color order is like squares and rectangles on TM1812.

They are not on approved list.

Speed is the same for each.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, »
Sounds like I'll stick with the TM1809.

Either one would have worked for my "72 Pixel" plan, both being evenly divisible. The TM1812 would have been a little shorter, though.

Thanks.

Jon

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, »
The TM1809 strips can only be cut every 15 LEDS. There are some older posts that explain the troubles members have had with cutting the TM1809 strips. This may be a problem for you.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, »
Every 15? Curious.  In the Caution area, it says that "Each unit of 3 LEDs can be cut out..."

Is the 15 number a personal experience lesson?

It wouldn't be a deal breaker, though. I could cut at 75 pixels and just don't use the first 3 or last 3 on my "72 pixel" project.

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, »
yeah the personal experience of several people on this forum. Please see these threads.

Unless Ray has changed them in last month they cannot be cut every 3 LEDS without adding wires to reconnect the traces that are severed.  When I asked Ray to spec strips that can be cut he gave me link to TM1812's.

The TM1812's also come in a 5M strip of 160 LEDS. You could get two 72 LED strips out of one 5M strip. It may save you some money. 

Every 15? Curious.  In the Caution area, it says that "Each unit of 3 LEDs can be cut out..."

Is the 15 number a personal experience lesson?

It wouldn't be a deal breaker, though. I could cut at 75 pixels and just don't use the first 3 or last 3 on my "72 pixel" project.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, by dpitts »