Author Topic: MP3 format / specs?  (Read 1975 times)

Offline sielbear

MP3 format / specs?
« on: November 21, 2012, »
I searched through the forums and Wiki, but I couldn't find it.  What are the supported MP3 file specs on the Conductor?  Are we limited to 128 Kbps or can we go higher?  I generally use WAV when playing from the computer, so I'm not used to converting to MP3.  I'm hoping we can run higher than 128, but if not, I'll manage. 

I guess I'm an audio snob?

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
Re: MP3 format / specs?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, »
The following datasheet lists the spec for the audio decoder used.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline sielbear

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, »
Interesting - looks like it supports MP3 up to 320 Kbps.  It also appears to support WAV.  Has anyone used a WAV audio file?  Can one be selected in the conductor control panel? (I saw mp3 listed by default earlier...)

Very cool chip used - quite a powerful little audio board!

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, »
I do not believe that the conductor will run with wave files. RJ posted somewhere about that. He said that you could run any bit rate in mp3 if I remember corrrectly.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, »
Be careful if using LSP as your sequencer. It is picky about its mp3 settings and using anything else could cause it to be out of sync with your lights.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Be careful if using LSP as your sequencer. It is picky about its mp3 settings and using anything else could cause it to be out of sync with your lights.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Good point and very true. 128 bit @44.1kbps. That's it for LSP.

Offline sielbear

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, »
I always use WAV for LSP, but in reality, I'm not sequencing in the traditional sense at this point, so perhaps that's a moot point.  I do remember last year or 2 years ago that .wav files seemed to work fine in LSP.

I did confirm wav is not supported by the conductor tool.  Converted to 256 Kbps and it runs BEAUTIFULLY.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I always use WAV for LSP, but in reality, I'm not sequencing in the traditional sense at this point, so perhaps that's a moot point.  I do remember last year or 2 years ago that .wav files seemed to work fine in LSP.

You are correct that LSP can run with .wav, but if you have a large channel count and a large show ie. a lot of sequences, the timing will gradually be off and will worsen the longer the show runs.

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, »
I just got my hands on a conductor (Thanks Sebastian), and after some very early test, can tell you that (on my system), mp3 greater than 192kpbs do not play in the conductor.
My first test was using a file directly imported from amazon, and encoded at 256kpbs. When using it in a show, conductor would start the sequence, increment the time played to '1', get some lights going, and stop right there (less than a second altogether).
On the card that came with the conductor, there was already a music file of the same song, encoded at 192kpbs. I modified the show to use that file and it went without a hitch.
Later on, I reencoded the amazon file to 128kpbs (using audacity), put it back on the card and it worked at that bit rate.
The sequence file (from LSP) had no problem at all.

Offline sielbear

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, »
I'm not sure what's happening with your MP3.  I'm running without issue at 256 Kbps, CBR, 44.1 KHz, Stereo.  Working like a champ.