Author Topic: Best thing to use for plugs?  (Read 11886 times)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
Re: Best thing to use for plugs?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Christmas tree shop has the 6' cords for 99 cents.. They are white tho...

Can you post a link.  Not sure which "Christmas Tree Shop" you are referring to.  Links are a good thing.  :)

Thanks

Alan T
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.. The only thing is that their site sux for looking at thingys, but it does give all locations.. Also, depot and lowes carries them for $1.47..
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, by sirloinofbeef001 »
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline CB

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2011, »
I have used Americord recently and the little bit I pay extra for these cords to already have one end stripped and seperated is worth it to me, plus I also liek the clean look but like not having a grounded female plug that is virtually unnecessary.  The output cords I purchase are these:

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2011, »
I have used Americord recently and the little bit I pay extra for these cords to already have one end stripped and seperated is worth it to me, plus I also liek the clean look but like not having a grounded female plug that is virtually unnecessary.  The output cords I purchase are these:

Why not use SPT cable and Vampire/Zip plugs? They're 18 Gauge as well, and pretty quick to assemble.

Offline CB

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2011, »
I went with the Americords out of being lazy, I am very picky about making sure the stripped ends are soldered and all of that time wasn't worth it to me when I could buy some pre-done.  Plus I like the factory look and sealed ends I wound up with.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2011, »

I think soldering the ends is a must. It takes me a few minutes to strip them and solder them but that's ok. I save a few bucks.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2011, »
i think the "having a grounded type plug" would be a good thing in the long run, in case you had to plug in an extension cord, and just had the standard 3 prong available at the time.   I'm thinking of attaching all my grounds together inside the Enclosure as a just to be safe, in case for some reason i power some type of light, or spotlight, or something that has a three prong plug. that way i dont have to look for adapters.
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2011, »
Good point.. I now have to change a few now for my spots..

Offline cubbieco

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2011, »
I don't remember where the post is but be careful if you connect the grounds.  Apparently somebody was doing that, something got loose and he got the magic smoke from his express because it shorted something.

I just use the cheap walmart extension cables.  Compared to the overall assembly time the time cutting & stripping 18 cables really isn't that long.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2011, »
That's true, but if you use typical floods like I am you need the ground.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2011, »
You don't NEED the grounds and a hand full of 3 prong adapters costs much less than 32 or more 3 prong cables.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline cubbieco

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2011, »
Just as an FYI the ground has nothing to do with the delivery of power.  The only thing the ground is for is to give the electricity an escape route if what you are using breaks.  The ground doesn't normally have any power on it at all, in fact if it ever does it will trip a ground fault interrupt outlet (which we should all be using for outdoor outlets).

If your flood lights have the three prong plugs go ahead and connect the grounds if you'd like.  You might want to use heat shrink around the whole thing to be 100% sure it doesn't short anything out inside your LE box.  Just keep in mind the actual flood light bulbs only have two connectors so the ground is only used if the housing becomes damaged for safety purposes.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2011, »
I either use those 2' monoprice cords for around $.99 each (50+)  or the 6' 3-tap (2 prong) green Christmas clearance cords from target ... which are $.33 to $.50 depending on deal.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2011, »
So if I use the lil ground cheater plug end it'll be ok as long as its shrink wrapped?

Offline cubbieco

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, »
Yeah or you can even pull out / snip off the ground prong.  You should make sure your flood light housing is water tight though.  They may have added the ground plug because of water problems.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, »
Just as an FYI the ground has nothing to do with the delivery of power.  The only thing the ground is for is to give the electricity an escape route if what you are using breaks.  The ground doesn't normally have any power on it at all, in fact if it ever does it will trip a ground fault interrupt outlet (which we should all be using for outdoor outlets).

That is incorrect, a GFCI does not detect a fault between the hot wire and ground but rather between the hot wire and neutral. In fact the NEC recommends that if you have an older dwelling and there are no grounds at the boxes replace the regular outlets with GFCI outlets for better protection.

If your flood lights have the three prong plugs go ahead and connect the grounds if you'd like.  You might want to use heat shrink around the whole thing to be 100% sure it doesn't short anything out inside your LE box.  Just keep in mind the actual flood light bulbs only have two connectors so the ground is only used if the housing becomes damaged for safety purposes.
The ground is there to provide a path for the electricity to travel should the neutral fail or the hot comes in contact with a grounded connection. 

DO you need a ground? technically no, as long as the power goes out on the hot wire and comes back on the neutral and you have the LE plugged into a GFCI protected outlet you should be OK.  Now if and electrical inspector came around and checked your display out you can bet everything will require a ground. 
Jeff Squires