Author Topic: What type of lights for this "Tune-in" coro sign?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline drlucas

I've started working on a couple of coro signs. One is a singing tree, the other is this tune to sign. I'm thinking of controlling it simply with two channels....the top will be one color (red?) and the bottom will be another (green?). For the tree i've got some dumb nodes enroute, but this tune to sign is something in the neighbourhood of 500 lights. I don't want to invest that type of money for a tune in sign...so looking for some advice on what type of lights will fit nicely into coro and not cost me a small fortune. If anyone has any suggestions and can send me a note (incase links aren't allowed to stores). I still can't believe I'm going to have to drill/poke out 500 holes for this. oh brother!!

Cheers!
Ryan
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
I have the holiday coro tune to sing that takes around 450 lights.  I use regular clear incans, but I dim them to 50% to cut back on electricity use, and they still look fine at the street view.  I planned to replace them with smoothside M5 LEDs that I bought at Big Lots last year but never got around to it.  One more little project for this coming season.  Incans will be the cheapest for you to use, but I am amp challenged so anything I can do to eliminate all the power that incans use helps.  My goal for this year is to convert my mini trees to LED using the lights that were replaced by nodes.  And hopefully replace my incan arches with flexstrip arches.  Soon as I get back from the Academy lighting takes the highest priority for me.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Rogelio

just dont use blue lights for the sign.  I did last year because I had a bunch of extra blue leds.  I was surprised how difficult it was for me to read the blue numbers in my sign.  Many neighbors said the same thing.  And I did dim them to about 20% too.
Roy

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
i have a friend that works in the sign business. he made  me a nice sign and i just used cheap floods dimmed to 20%. he used reflective ink and they looked great for the show. my front yard is on a 30 degree curve so i needed 2 signs and this was cost effective. ran me about 15 dollars for the flood fixtures and bulbs, and 20 bucks for the signs.

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tng5737

I bought a sign board from holidaycoro.  I used clear led's to populate the board.   It was so darn bright my neighbor came over and asked me to move the sign because it shone right thru his front room and into the family room where the tv was situated.  I not only moved it but had to go back into each of my seqs and set the intensity down to 20%.

Offline combustionmark

I back lit some white coro that I blacked out to give a nice tune to sign. A little black paint and ductape can go a long way. I used 2 60 count red and green led strings that I stuffed into the box.
Have Fun!

Offline drlucas

OK - thanks for the feedback. I was wondering about how much light 500 LEDs would be throwing off from that little 46x46" sign. I'm back to thinking i need to paint that coro black again. I guess I'll drill out the holes first and then paint it. This sucker is definitely going onto the LE then so I can dim it....now to make sure the LEDs I get are able to be dimmed....hopefully they all are.

Are there stores online that sell green LEDs at this time of year? I haven't gone too deep into the new Target that is opened up this side of the border, but I haven't seen anything in the home depot recently.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I back lit some white coro that I blacked out to give a nice tune to sign. A little black paint and ductape can go a long way. I used 2 60 count red and green led strings that I stuffed into the box.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline drlucas

LOL - I guess if I wanted to put up these lights right now i could...as they are for weeding :)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline Rogelio

LOL.  easier to spot them with green lighting.  :)

Offline keitha43

I guess "weeding" lights have the opposite effect of "grow" lights.