Author Topic: What to use for 3 foot circles of PVC  (Read 745 times)

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
What to use for 3 foot circles of PVC
« on: September 07, 2011, »
I just tried to make a 3/4 inch 10 foot schedule 40 into a circle.  OK I need something else.  What do you use to make a circle that small.  It seems like I might need thinner then 3/4 inch.  I need to make six 3 foot circles for mini tree bottoms.

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline JDM1oc

What to use for 3 foot circles of PVC
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, »
Ron

You might try 1/2 grey PVC electrical conduit or 3/4 or 1 inch pex. I've used both for various things.

Josh

Offline Greg

Re: What to use for 3 foot circles of PVC
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, »
Ron,

1/2" grey pvc conduit should work fine.  Here's how I've done it in the past:

Feed a rope through the pipe (I generally use 3/8" sisal rope), Set the pipe out in the sun to warm it then start pulling the rope bending the pipe until the ends nearly touch and tie off or clamp the rope ends together.  Take the bent pipe out of the sun to cool.  After the  pipe cools unclamp the rope and the pipe should retain most of the bend allowing you to join the pipe ends together. 

If your weather is no longer hot or you want to speed the process, you can pipe hot air from a hair dryer through the pipe to warm it, then quickly insert the rope and bend as previously described. 

The rope helps distribute the bending force more evenly to prevent kinking.

Greg
....  Crazy, Toys in the attic, He is crazy  ....

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, »
Thanks guys.  Hey Josh what is pex?  I like the rope idea Greg.  I am in Oklahoma and were are in the 80's right now.  To bad I did not think of this earlier as we had 105 to 108 many times.  We broke a record for number of days over 100.  It was around 50 and I think it is about 60 for the record now.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline smartcontrols

• Coop Manager
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, »
When my mini trees had a circle base I used a Hula Hoop for it. Worked well for me, but not real strong.

_Jeff

Offline meman

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, »
Two words..Harbor Freight. They had heat guns on sale this past weekend for $5 and change. You can make PVC do anything you want once it is warmed up. The trick is having a dunking tank or some other method like the rope to keep it in shape while it cools.

Good Luck and have fun with it !
Mike E.

Offline JDM1oc

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, »
Hey Josh what is pex?

PEX is a plumbing pipe that is sold by the roll or in 5 foot sticks.  It bends really easily and is strong. I've made some mini arches and a mini tree ring using 1/2 pex and they are holding up really well so far. 

Link to Home Depot: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login