Author Topic: Pictures of them things I built for the academy  (Read 4705 times)

Offline combustionmark

I was constantly being asked about the 3 display projects. So here is a few pictures.

Forgot to add. 17 flex strips of 30 pixels.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, by combustionmark »
Have Fun!

Offline combustionmark

Re: Pictures of them things I built for the academy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, »
This stuff is used on greenhouses. I have 2, and they measure about 4 foot square. 24 flex strips of 30 pixels.
Have Fun!

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, »
Nice.  What is the metal "nucleus" made out of?  I look forward to seeing videos of everything in action.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, »
Steel

It is thin, like 1/16 inch so its not heavy. I can pick the entire thing up with one hand.

I built this using 3/4 inch pex sticks for the arms.

There is something used for fishing that looks like this, looking for 1 now. I think it uses 1/2 inch pvc.
I think its called a porcupine ball?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Have Fun!

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, »
I have to say all of your props were awesome!

For your matrix where you had your Halloween skulls singing "This is Halloween", that was awesome/

Where did you get the greenhouse plastic from. I want to make a tune to sign/what song is playing sign using the same method.

nm, i think i found them here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

thanks
sean
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, by smeighan »
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, »
That's the word I was trying to think of!
polycarbonate

That looks like it. Not sure how thick, I think mine are 8mm thick with 10mm rib spacing.
The important thing will be the rib spacing.

The ones I have were thrown away at work.

I have managed to find them locally at a plastic supply in Knoxville. Have to be ordered, but I can get them in 5x12 or 5x16. Price has not been figured out yet, they haven't ordered before. They normally sell regular sign stuff.

I am looking for someone that has this in regular stock.

"polycarbonate"
Have Fun!

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, »
Are the pictures that were used to generate the singing faces on the Matrix available on-line somewhere? I love this idea of singing faces on a matrix.

Frank

Offline keitha43

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, »
I would like to see film of the singing face matrix.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, »
I agree, your light elements were fantastic, and I too wanted to duplicate your work -- or build from your ideas!

The panels that you used do not seem to be the same as what Sean found... so if you can locate ordering info, that would be great.

Also, the flex strips you used did not seem to be the waterproofed variety with the sealed vinyl/rubber/plastic covering.  Instead they seemed to be "naked" without the extra covering -- which I see more in dumb RGB strips.  What did you use?  With a sealed panel, i'd think that the covering is unnecessary and also forces a larger spacing to be needed.

I've also been unable to find the pex.  I found something in a roll that was much thicker and didn't let light pass through as well. 
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, »
Technically, with Nutcracker, you could make a video/animation of whatever face you wanted (a la Wizard of Oz) and output it to a matrix (instead of green smoke).  I am intrigued to see what it looks like!
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tmcteer

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, »
I took this video Sunday of combustionmark's props and Rick Stones props he used during his break-fix classes.

Enjoy

Tom :)

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, »
the flex strips you used did not seem to be the waterproofed variety with the sealed vinyl/rubber/plastic covering.

You are right. They had the silicone tube covering on them but wouldn't fit.

I've also been unable to find the pex.  I found something in a roll that was much thicker and didn't let light pass through as well. 

The panels that you used do not seem to be the same as what Sean found... so if you can locate ordering info, that would be great.

The 8mm 2' x 6' looks right and at $22 sounds good. Reading  the technical this has 10mm ribs and is uv protected with a 10 year warranty. Too bad mine are already 10+ years old. I am working with a local supplier to locate more.

Technically, with Nutcracker, you could make a video/animation of whatever face you wanted (a la Wizard of Oz) and output it to a matrix (instead of green smoke).  I am intrigued to see what it looks like!

smeighan did a video on the mega mega pixel matrix. Way cool. I used pictures 50+ of them. Dealing with videos this small looses too much. And I can change the pictures to what ever I want. I don't do video well.

I took this video Sunday of combustionmark's props and Rick Stones props he used during his break-fix classes.

Thanks. I didn't think to take any pictures of them. I have now that I got back home. Looks like a light bright. Hay can that be a new effect?
Have Fun!

Offline keitha43

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, »
Wish I could have seen them in person. The video looks awesome.

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, »
Are the pictures that were used to generate the singing faces on the Matrix available on-line somewhere?

No. I did them in paint. They are 24x30 16 color. I will try to post them someware.

The pictures should be in

c:\xlights\pictures\numbers\

Hope I get this right.
Have Fun!

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, »
i downloaded the files and the xml.

I put 3 new target models on lines 6,7,8

your sequence comes out just perfect.

I cant believe you created 941 rows of timing marks and sequenced two heads.  <res.

still amazed...

sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login