Fun > The Porch

RGB Rope Light, could use some help

(1/2) > >>

Sloanhaus:
I am looking at getting this rgb rope light to put in my palm tree. I have read the brochure and I am pretty sure that I can run it off the express but am not sure what I will need to do to power it... I think I am going to have to buy an external power supply but wanted to get someone elses opinion... Here is the light.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it

Aussiephil:
The PDF's for both the colorflex and the ropelight provide good details of requirements.

The first being the need to run the lights from 24v DC, there are many SMPS available on ebay in the 350w to 500w range with 24v output.

I'll let RJ confirm but i would think the Express unsuitable as it is designed to switch AC.

My new DC controller would suit this, but it's a little way off.
I'm keen to find out pricing for the ColorFlex stuff but considering they seemed to be aimed at the commercial market i doubt it's even vaguely cheap.

cheers
Phil

Sloanhaus2:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginThe PDF's for both the colorflex and the ropelight provide good details of requirements.

The first being the need to run the lights from 24v DC, there are many SMPS available on ebay in the 350w to 500w range with 24v output.

I'll let RJ confirm but i would think the Express unsuitable as it is designed to switch AC.

My new DC controller would suit this, but it's a little way off.
I'm keen to find out pricing for the ColorFlex stuff but considering they seemed to be aimed at the commercial market i doubt it's even vaguely cheap.

cheers
Phil

--- End quote ---

I just wanted to make sure this would work, the guy told me I had to use his controller, which I didnt believe. I assume all I have to do is run a cat 5 cable to the rope light and connect a power source. Can you please tell me if this power source would work ok, I dont really know much about this area

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login|66%3A4|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A200

Aussiephil:
OK

Without having a bit of this in hand here's my best guess.

Whilst you could no doubt light up the rope light by just connecting 24v DC you would have a static colour and no control.

You will always need some sort of controller so that you get control of R G B colours individually.

To do this with DC requires a DC based controller.

If this was 12v you could use the MR16 but i don't think the MR16 will handle 24v

My Tiger Controllers will handle 12v to 48v DC and would be a great match to that sort of light cable.

The setup would be
AC -> Power Supply -> 24v DC to Light Controller

Software -> DMX Dongle -> Light Controller

Light Controller -> RGB Ropelight

Cheers
Phil

wbe12345:
Hi

I looked up  the specs on the power MOSFETs used in the MR16.
The power MOSFETs have the specs of Id=15 amps and Vdds=100volts.

So the only limit I could see is the copper traces on the pc board not able to handle the current and voltage.
RJ could answer that.

Otherwise you could just calculate the power on each channel. Based on that then maybe use less total channels on the mR16.

Wallace
"wbe12345"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version