Author Topic: DMX Controller  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
DMX Controller
« on: April 09, 2011, »
I was thinking about adding this to my order of lights to start testing.  My thought was to use this with the DMX dongle and start learning how to program sequences.  Do you think this would work?  Only a little bit more expensive than the standalone controller.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
Re: DMX Controller
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, »
do be sure, you should ask Ray
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, »
I was thinking about adding this to my order of lights to start testing.  My thought was to use this with the DMX dongle and start learning how to program sequences.  Do you think this would work?  Only a little bit more expensive than the standalone controller.

The only real issue that I see with this controller is that it is only capable of controlling a max of 120 nodes.  This will limit its testing capability to 100 node strings or less.  If your strings are 100 node or less then it will allow you to test them but if you have any 128 node ones, it will only light the first 120 nodes.  I'm not sure how it will help you to learn how to sequence.  You really don't need any hardware to do that.  Just a computer and the software that you intend to use and the music that you want to sequence to.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, »
Why is this controller only limited to 120 nodes?  I dont see that called out so I must be missing something.  I know how to use LSP, but want to play with different effects and see how they look outside.  This would be more flexible than the preset controller.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, »
Why is this controller only limited to 120 nodes?  I dont see that called out so I must be missing something.  I know how to use LSP, but want to play with different effects and see how they look outside.  This would be more flexible than the preset controller.

Just my guess but the case says 360 channels on it

360 / 3 = 120 nodes

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, »

As Rick said above, the case clearly says 360 channels.  Each node uses three channels.  If you want to use it to see what your sequences will look like with the actual nodes then it should do what you want but remember, it is limited to 120 nodes which should still be enough to do what you want. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, »
i just picked this up, and it does 512 channels...

the pic is wrong the item has 1809 in the name, the picture shows a different number

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, »
I received mine last week - another nice device there are dip switches on it allows you to send test commands without having to get a computer out.  Nice and small - screw terminals are easy to work with.  I didn't pull out the computer to play with the DMX part - just energized my lights and packed it all up till I had time to really play.

Harrison

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, »
it's nice as a tester, but i wouldnt use it in a show, though

Offline hbomb341

• Patron Member
    • Flower Mound Christmas
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, »
it's nice as a tester, but i wouldnt use it in a show, though

I agree with this.

Harrison

Offline JDM1oc

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, »
Does anyone have a manual or description for this controller? I've got it connected and it lights up the strings, but I am not sure about the dmx side of things.

Thanks,

Josh

Offline chrisatpsu

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, »
Without a dmx signal, you can make it light up the strings by moving the address switches
To make it work with the lynx dongle, you have to make a cable using the xlr connectors. Make a standard lynx to xlr cable using the info in the wiki. I think I have to end up reversing pins 1 and 2 to get it to work. Plus you need to make a terminator using the xlr plug for the DMC out port and a 120 ohm resistor.