Author Topic: More Unwanted Rainbows  (Read 2894 times)

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
More Unwanted Rainbows
« on: October 26, 2011, »
I received my first SS yesterday and I was so excited to try them out. I could not wait to get home. You all know the feeling; like getting a toy without batteries. I only received part of my order because Ray is still out of stock. I received 6 of my 20 128 string nodes and my square nodes. The 128 nodes are the same as an earlier post, 100 nodes combined at the factory with 28 nodes. I have my SS controller flashed with the test firmware and set to run R G B W. When I plugged it into the hub it went through the sequence and immediately I had nodes not matching color. My heart sank and frustration set in. It is frustrating to spend several thousand dollars and have something not work! I left them plugged in and just watched. As time went on the rainbow kept changing location. I would put tape on the node that I thought might be the issue (the one before the color change) and after a couple of cycles it would move up the string towards the controller. After a while it would move back down the string. I was very angry and decided to wait until tonight to do any more (after I calmed down a bit). Remember this is the very first string that I tried. Now after my rant here is my question. Is there a way to use a lab scope to see which node is bad. Like everyone I am trying to cut up the strings as little as possible. I am planning on using the whole 128 nodes for my mega tree. I am not technically savy with programming so I am not sure if you can see data being sent on a lab scope.

BTW I left the one string on (all white) all night with no issue.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: More Unwanted Rainbows
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, »
I just received my complete order of 20 x 128-node strings on Monday.  I counted everything out, all there.  I've got to start my burn-in yet.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline aljaker

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, »
You didn't program the ssc while it was plugged into power did you? I did that and seemed to have, what I thought were bad nodes, but screwed up the IC instead.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, »
I just got 4 more strings of 75.  Two completely good, one is all white and one has the random rainbow in the last 3rd.  Also not consistent at which bulb it starts.  That is two strings out of 10 that I have rainbows with and cannot pick a bulb to start with, but have to make a decision soon.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You didn't program the ssc while it was plugged into power did you? I did that and seemed to have, what I thought were bad nodes, but screwed up the IC instead.

No power supplied. Have have tried 2 ssc controllers with the same results. I have also checked the sum on both. They run my square nodes ok.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, by rdebolt »

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, »
I just got 4 more strings of 75.  Two completely good, one is all white and one has the random rainbow in the last 3rd.  Also not consistent at which bulb it starts.  That is two strings out of 10 that I have rainbows with and cannot pick a bulb to start with, but have to make a decision soon.

Made my desision on one string. I am working on the second half now. Of my six strings only 2 strings initially test ok. I have to burn them all in for extended test. At least Ray gave me several extra nodes. It looks like I am going to need them!  >:(

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, »
Ok so please help me understand. I cut the string after the 37th node (my best guess). I ran the first 37 in test mode for about an hour with no issues. So I decide to try the bottom 91 nodes. They have been running for about 10 minutes at the time of this post and they are working fine at this time. Now what?  ::)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, »
what if 37 is bad... as in it will not pass a good set of packets on to 38, etc.
in that case, move the second part of the string to the front, and the bad 37 becomes the end of the string -- but is still useful, but not anywhere but at the end of the line.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, »
my guess is the 37th node is bad and not properly sending out the data it receives

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, »
my guess is the 37th node is bad and not properly sending out the data it receives

Rick R.

If that is the case Rick I got very lucky on my guess, because it was no consitant at all. But I hope that you are correct. 91 nodes still running fine.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, »
what if 37 is bad... as in it will not pass a good set of packets on to 38, etc.
in that case, move the second part of the string to the front, and the bad 37 becomes the end of the string -- but is still useful, but not anywhere but at the end of the line.

Very good idea Steve. That's why I love it here!  ;D

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, »
On my question in my first post though. Is there a way to check the data line with a lab scope?

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, »
On my question in my first post though. Is there a way to check the data line with a lab scope?

I would guess so, I don't own a scope and policy states we can't go into more detail

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, »

I would guess so, I don't own a scope and policy states we can't go into more detail

Rick R.

OK Thanks Rick. On to my next string!

Offline scharbon

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, »
I think you need to go to the closest 7-11 and buy some lottery tickets if you can guess that good.  That is incredible luck if that was in fact the bad node.  :)

Steve