Author Topic: What is the passive hub?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
What is the passive hub?
« on: November 15, 2011, »
Now that I am in the throws of setup and stringing cat5 all over the place I wondered what the passive hub and the combiner would do for me.  However I can find no functional description of them in the wiki and a search using "passive hub" mostly turns up references to the coop from last summer and the coop also has no information on the function of the passive hub.  I'm sure there must be information in some threads, but it seems to be hiding from me.  I think we need to have some basic functional descriptions of all the lynx gear in the wiki.  I find assembly manuals, BOM links, firmware, but no basic functional descriptions.  Fortunately I am not a newcomer, but I can see where a new member would have trouble finding basic information about the functions of each of the Lynx products.  I am aware that there is a video demo on the passive hub, but that does not take away the need for a basic functional description of what the (all) device(s) is(are) used for.

What triggered this for me is I'm wondering if I can save some Cat5 runs by using a passive combiner.  I will be running 8 different cat5 cables for my roof and gutters.  May be to late for this year, but need to plan for the future   Can a passive hub be used to just relay the pixelnet signals from one input to multiple outputs.  I will have power on the roof since I see that it needs 12v power.  Can this power come from a wall wart or does it require another PC power supply.  I am not looking at supper long runs of cat5, just a lot of runs going in the same general direction.  I can run all my SS nodes from one Active hub and not stress the PS.  Only using 13 SSCs, but the bulk of them go up to at least to the gutter level.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: What is the passive hub?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, »
A passive hub connects to one of the 16 pixelnet output of an active hub. This lets you run multiple strings close together off of one hub feed over one cat5 cable. But it requires its own power supply for the lights.

The combiner was designed to output 4 pixelnet universes over one cat5 cable (i.e.: 4 usb dongles) to a active hub.

clear as mud

btw: I started a project to add Function and Use to the Wiki equipment page. I did a test run with the EtherDongle

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required