Author Topic: Active Hub Resistor  (Read 782 times)

Offline johno123

Active Hub Resistor
« on: November 24, 2011, »
So I've been troubleshooting about how my DMX output hasn't been working out of my active hub when my smartstrings have been working great - I've set the DMX universe to 1 and was expecting to see the first 512 channels working on my set of Express's.  At first I was thinking that I was not setting up LightShowPro correctly (setting it up as a 'Light Controller' with a 'Pixelnet/SmartString' Controller Protocol) but after looking over the board a bit, I saw that my 3W resistor was very hot and had char marks on the back traces.  After looking at the manual on the wiki, I saw the small note that the wrong shipment of resistors went out in the co-op.  Since it's almost impossible to see the colors on the resistor anymore, I assume I installed the 15Ohm instead of the 100.

Would a scorched resistor cause that whole half of the board to not be working?  I saw that the closest 485 chip seems to lead down to the DMX output, so my gut was thinking it may be the case.

I can order the replacement from mouser, but in the short term, is it acceptable to pick up a 100 Ohm 10W power resistor from RadioShack in the interim? You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Re: Active Hub Resistor
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, »
I believe that RJ has them. PM him and ask

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline johno123

Re: Active Hub Resistor
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, »
Thanks Rick, I'll go that route for the replacement. 

That being said, should I stop troubleshooting the DMX output and blame the hot resistor?  Or should I order up a fresh ST485BN while I'm at it?

Offline TheBanker

Active Hub Resistor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, »
You can just go to paypal and sen RJ .01 to make a shipping reciept and he will send it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will