Author Topic: Flexible strip problems  (Read 1806 times)

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Flexible strip problems
« on: February 24, 2012, »
So I got 2 flex strips from Ray and can't seem to get these to work for the life of me.  Just to note my smart strings are working just fine on the SSCs I'm trying with and I am switching the negative and the data since they are different on the SS vs the flex strip.

So on one string I program the SSC with channel 1, 120 nodes, and flex strip type.  When I do this only the first led blinks blue  when its programed.  Remove the power and put the jumper back on the ssc and nothing happens on the strip.

On the other string as soon as it gets power the first led is blue and stays on no matter what.

I am on the side that says in and the arrow is pointing towards the end of the string.

Any ideas, I'm going to go get my dad's pict3 and flash with the test firmware to see what kind of results I get with that.  I figured I'm doing something dumb and just can't seem to get it figured out.

Thanks in advance.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Flexible strip problems
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, »
Did you snip the wires on the opposite end of the flex strips or insulate them from each other?

Also, are you connected to the input end of the flex strip?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Re: Flexible strip problems
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, »
Did you snip the wires on the opposite end of the flex strips or insulate them from each other?

Also, are you connected to the input end of the flex strip?

Wires are still connected but I made sure they were not touching each other.

I'm on the side that says in and the arrow is pointing towards the end of the string.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Flexible strip problems
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, »
Here are some pics of the connections.  One is the end of the strip I am connected to.  Wires from the strip to the pigtail and the other end of the pigtail on the ssc

Offline Rainlover

• Coop Admin
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, »
So I got 2 flex strips from Ray and can't seem to get these to work for the life of me.  Just to note my smart strings are working just fine on the SSCs I'm trying with and I am switching the negative and the data since they are different on the SS vs the flex strip.
So on one string I program the SSC with channel 1, 120 nodes, and flex strip type.  When I do this only the first led blinks blue  when its programed.  Remove the power and put the jumper back on the ssc and nothing happens on the strip.

On the other string as soon as it gets power the first led is blue and stays on no matter what.

I am on the side that says in and the arrow is pointing towards the end of the string.

Any ideas, I'm going to go get my dad's pict3 and flash with the test firmware to see what kind of results I get with that.  I figured I'm doing something dumb and just can't seem to get it figured out.

Thanks in advance.
Look on the input end of the flex strip. The power is red, the ground is green and the data is blue.The ones I just bought are the same way. When I hooked it up like you, the first led was blue. I changed the green to ground and the blue to data and they worked.
The wiki shows that the data is green and for me, that is not correct.

John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Offline dpitts

• Restrictive
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, »
If you bought the same 4M Flex strips I have, the strip is labeled right where wires connect. I would go by the labeling. The wires most likely will be the same but not guaranteed.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, »
the color reference in the wiki is only for the first stuff that shipped.

PLEASE DONT JUST USE THE COLORS, read the labeling to determine which line is which line.

all smart string nodes have positive, negative, and data.

what;s important is that the
positive matches up with the positive on the smart string controller
negative  matches up with the negative on the smart string controller
data in  matches up with the data on the smart string controller

what colors they use, or what colors you use does not matter, as long as the lines are connected as above.

EDIT: twooly, you are right go with the colors on the actualy smarts string nodes, and pay attention to the chip side as the input side. all other nodes, see above.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, by chrisatpsu »
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, »
Got it, wow I am dumb.  Data and Negative were switched.  I'm not normally one to just go by colors but after reading so much on here about them being switched from the node strings and to be honest you have to go by colors on the node strings so I was just going by the wiki.

Thanks everyone.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, »
edited...
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!