Author Topic: Cutting Flexible Strip  (Read 1561 times)

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Cutting Flexible Strip
« on: March 28, 2012, »
I've watched RJ's video but looks like the strings are now different than from the video.

Do we have to do a jumper of some sort like RJ talks about, doesn't look like there is a spot anymore like he showed but I do see the every meter diode (smaller/much smaller)?  So can we cut along all the cut lines now?

See the pics

beginning of the strip with the wires
a cut line
1 meter cut line
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Cutting Flexible Strip
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, »
yes, use the cut lines.  you can use jumper wires to join segments back together as long as you do not exceed the max pixel count for your string type.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, »
to be safe, try to cut on the soldered connections if you can get away with it..  less hassle

every so many sections are soldered together
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, »
I should have asked better.  I understand to cut on the cut lines but cutting on the non 1 meter sections (non soldered ones) do I have to do some type of jumper like RJ talks about in his video (even though there is no spot like in his video) and if I don't will that section be dead?

Pics to explain from RJ's video.

Larger diode.
Non meter cut line see the place where a diode would be this doesn't exist on my strings.

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, »
post a picture of the very beginning of your string with the wires coming in.  you would want to duplicate that
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, »
I should have asked better.  I understand to cut on the cut lines but cutting on the non 1 meter sections (non soldered ones) do I have to do some type of jumper like RJ talks about in his video (even though there is no spot like in his video) and if I don't will that section be dead?

Larger diode.
Non meter cut line see the place where a diode would be this doesn't exist on my strings.

Twooly, I ordered the Flexible strips back in January this year (2012), and my flexstrips look like yours (e.g. There isn't a diode at the begining of the flexstrip or a place to solder a jumper). I then cut my flexstrips at the at both the soldered and non soldered sections and then soldered the power, ground and data connections to the Smart String Controller and I've not had any issues.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, »

Larger diode.

Twooly, I ordered the Flexible strips back in January this year (2012), and my flexstrips look like yours (e.g. There isn't a diode at the begining of the flexstrip or a place to solder a jumper). I then cut my flexstrips at the at both the soldered and non soldered sections and then soldered the power, ground and data connections to the Smart String Controller and I've not had any issues.

Perfect thank you!

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, »
Here's a pic of my flexstrips as a comparison to yours, they are the same I believe (no diode and no jumper):
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, by peteandvanessa »

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, »
Here's a pic of my flexstrips as a comparison to yours, they are the same I believe (no diode and no jumper):

Yep looks the same, thank you