Author Topic: Mini Tree Materials  (Read 4748 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Mini Tree Materials
« on: August 26, 2010, »
I was thinking of mini trees.  I see where people report problems with metal frames and such causing breakers flips so that make me wonder about other methods.
I have seen rrowan's mini tree which is cool, but I wonder if I have the time to bend and cut that much PVC :)!
What about cutting out a triangular piece of "material" and wrapping around a wooden or PVC pole with a wire hoop at the bottom?  And then attach the lights to the material.   I bet someone smarter than me has thought this up already!  What kind of material?  I was thinking something like snow fencing but my concern would be it showing up with the lights on.  Other material like weed barrier cloth would probably cause too much resistance for windy days and you can't see the lights on the other side.  The coro material is nice and I already have 10 of those but I was thinking something in the 6-5-4-3' sizes for variability.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eric

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
Re: Mini Tree Materials
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, »
I am getting ready to make mini trees out of tomato cages. My lynx controllers will be plugged into GFI outlets.  Am I going to have problems here in Oklahoma?  Not much snow here most of the time.  But I don't want the circuits tripping because the lights are wrapped on metal cages.

Anyone had experience with this?

Ron
My 2010 Videos
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, »
I am getting ready to make mini trees out of tomato cages. My lynx controllers will be plugged into GFI outlets.  Am I going to have problems here in Oklahoma?  Not much snow here most of the time.  But I don't want the circuits tripping because the lights are wrapped on metal cages.

Ron

If using mini-lights (not sure about leds) don't let them touch the ground. I tried the cages one year and tossed them away afterwards. Hope you have better luck

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, »

Ron

If you have good strings that have solid insulation then the GFCI should not trip regardless of what you have them wrapped around.  The down side to GFCI is that it doesn't take much to make them trip and the results are cumulative. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline castortiu

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, »
I'm trying tomato cages as well. Let's see how it goes.

Cas.

Offline magic8192

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, »
I had GFCI trip problems last year, but it rained like hell.  I am going to try something different this year. 

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, »
Any wire frame if left bare will have the ability to trip a GFI in wet weather.  

You can insulate the wire part of the Mini Trees that will be used in the ground.

If you cannot do that, one other option is do not wrap the wire too tight around the wire frame and use a minimum of cable ties to hold them in place, do not overly tighten them either. What happens is the insulation is compromised in contact with the wire frame, One tight wrap might not trip a GFI but many will add up to a GRI trip in wet weather.  Old (3 year or better) strings of lights insulation will not fair better in wet weather either, the UV protection is reduced and the insulation will start getting hard and getting micro cracks.  If you see the insulation has turned a lighter green or white at the point of contact with the wire frame then you have a potential point of current leak to ground for a GFI trip.

Just my 2 cents worth.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, by Dennis Cherry »
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, »
You could put a quick coat of rubber paint on the tomato cages for add insulation from metal
Jeff

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, »
I wrap my tomato-cage minitrees with clear packaging wrap -- it's like Saran Wrap, but you buy it at an office supply store -- before I apply the minilights. It makes the tree look brighter and there are no GFCI trips.

\dmc

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, »
I wrap my tomato-cage minitrees with clear packaging wrap -- it's like Saran Wrap, but you buy it at an office supply store -- before I apply the minilights. It makes the tree look brighter and there are no GFCI trips.

\dmc

Ok.  You use "shrink wrap" (the stuff we wrap around stuff in the warehouse) to wrap your cages.

Thank you.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline Freebird

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, »
Im making some with tomator cages but im wrapping the cages with garland and then applying the lights to the garland.  So far they look great..  But it shure is alot of garland and yard sale searchs...

Freebird
One day I will fly out of the fog and all of this will be seen clearly!

Offline Kwajtony

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, »
I saw a DIY mini tree build with PVC (1/2) bent into a tripod   mayhaps three pieces  (planet christmas I think).
R,
Tony "C"

Offline CW

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, »
I had quite a few GFI trips the 1st and 2nd year that I had tomato cage mini trees.  Then last year I wrapped the bottom ring with cheap electrical tape and that did the trick, no trips in the soggie Pacific NW.

Offline Brad

• Patron Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, »
I had no trouble with my tomato cage mini trees utill last winter when we had 8" of very wet snow. I had to unplug them, move them and shovel the show. Then I layed down black trash bags and put the trees on them. Problem solved.

Brad
2007- 32 Ch Grinch, >6K lights...2008- 128 Ch Freestyle, 23,000 Lights, 2009- Lynx Freestyle & Lynx Express, 26K Lights....Wife thinks I'm nuts!