Author Topic: LOR S3 info released  (Read 4876 times)

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
    • Carter Christmas Lights
LOR S3 info released
« on: October 13, 2011, »
The help menu for the new S3 was released and I'm wanting to know if the below info means I can use S3 with my Lynx Dongle.

From S3:
In addition to Light-O-Rama controllers and various other types of controllers, Light-O-Rama can control native DMX devices.

To set a channel to use DMX protocol, set its device type to "DMX Universe".  You can then set its universe and address (similarly to setting up an LOR controller's network, unit, and circuit).  This can be done in the Sequence Editor's Channel Configuration Screen or in the channel's Channel Settings dialog.

Up to sixteen DMX universes can be used.  Each should be assigned a separate DMX adapter (such as an ENTTEC Open DMX USB adapter).  You can assign adapters to universes via the Sequence Editor's Network Preferences dialog.

Unlike other protocols (such as LOR or X10), the DMX protocol requires that the LOR Control Panel be running in order to actually control the devices.  The LOR Control Panel will, in turn, start up the LOR Comm Listener.  When a program such as the Sequence Editor or Show Player wants to send a command to a DMX device, it actually sends the command to the LOR Comm Listener, which in turn sends it out over the adapter assigned to the device's specified universe.

Note that you do not have to use the "DMX Intensity" effect on DMX channels.  You can, but you can also use any other effect (such as Fade Up or Twinkle).  If you use a DMX Intensity effect, it will have a natural DMX intensity range of 0 to 255.  If you use any other effect, it will have a range of 0 to 100, but Light-O-Rama will automatically scale it to DMX's 0 to 255 range immediately before sending it out to the actual DMX device.

Thanks
Donny
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
Re: LOR S3 info released
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, »
Can someone please tell me, is the Lynx Dongle v2 more like the Enttec Pro or the Enttec open dongle? Thanks!

Donny

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, »
Greetings,,,

It is more like the Pro.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline Donny M. Carter

• Ocean Springs, MS
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, »
Thanks, I'm gonna get my Lynx Dongle put together and see if S3 will run my Expresses! LOR S3 suggests the Enttec Open, but I know RJ said the timings are unstable with the open.

Donny

Offline comporder1

LOR S3 info released
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, »
I believe it says in the protocols that it can do pro too. I have yet to try.

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: Re: LOR S3 info released
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, »
Thanks, I'm gonna get my Lynx Dongle put together and see if S3 will run my Expresses! LOR S3 suggests the Enttec Open, but I know RJ said the timings are unstable with the open.

Donny

When you use the Lynx dongle, be sure it isn't shifting channels by one.  That was a problem in beta test.

Sent from my DROIDX

Offline ponddude

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, »
Just a heads up here...

I am an LOR beta tester.  I personally did the testing with Lynx dongle and it will not work.  It does some very funky things with the channels.  I contacted LOR directly they will be supporting this dongle in the 3.1 release, which will probably not be out this year.  However, they have a Lynx dongle and will be supporting it...just not yet.

Greg

Offline sakone1

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, »
from BOB at LOR.
In version 3.0.0, the following DMX adapters are officially supported for native DMX devices:

With "Raw DMX" protocol
ENTTEC Open DMX USB
LOR USB485 (NOTE: The LOR USB485 does NOT have a physical DMX output jack)

With "ENTTEC DMX USB Pro" protocol
ENTTEC DMX USB Pro

It is possible that other types of USB adapters may work, but they may not, and if they do you may have to experiment to find the appropriate protocol to use.

I guess my question is if the Enttec works why not the Lynx? Don't they function the same?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, by sakone1 »
Scott

Offline dowdybrown

• Gleannloch Christmas
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, »
I guess my question is if the Enttec works why not the Lynx? Don't they function the same?
The Enttec PRO has a dozen or so commands that it responds to. The Lynx dongle only implements one of those commands - send dmx. And even that one command has differences - with the Lynx you must send a full universe, whereas with the Enttec you can send less than a full universe.

So the answer to your question is that it depends on which commands S3 sends to the dongle.
Matt Brown

Offline budude

• OK - onto 2012!
    • Christmas in San Jose
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, »
The Enttec PRO has a dozen or so commands that it responds to. The Lynx dongle only implements one of those commands - send dmx. And even that one command has differences - with the Lynx you must send a full universe, whereas with the Enttec you can send less than a full universe.

So the answer to your question is that it depends on which commands S3 sends to the dongle.

Will/Does xLights support S3?

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, »
I tested the Lynx dongle as well.  It didn't do much but I was able to turn on a channel and fade it.  Too bad I said to turn on channel 1 and channel 2 came on.

As usual, It's time to purchase a more expensive piece of hardware only to be able to use something I already had later.  I am excited to see the LOR software venture out and support more hardware. 

What I don't get is Dan said LOR would be selling a low cost DMX adapter and basically sounded like it was ready to sell last March. My guess is they will build something similar to the Lynx USB Donlge but just haven't got it done yet with all the other problems they had.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, »
That was my experience. During beta testing, it was stable and fine except for the channel offset. E1.31 support won't happen until the next update. :(

Sent from my DROIDX

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, »
LOR really imploded this year ... very disappointing.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, »
It is dissappointing that the E1.31 did not make it as they had said.

My question is this, is the only issue a channel offset by one?

If so can you not offset your show by one channel? Also if this is not an issue in their software where they will be making changes I believe we could modify firmware to work with it. I just do not know why it would be off 1 channel the other apps that work with the Pro using the virtual com port like LSP & vixen work correctly with my dongle and they use the same output plugin to run both the Enttec and Lynx. 

Strange issue.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Danbe

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, »
LOR really imploded this year ... very disappointing.
I very dissappointing that the E1.31 did not make too