Author Topic: Holiday Coro RGB  (Read 4807 times)

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
Holiday Coro RGB
« on: January 02, 2012, »
Hey Folks....

Has anyone here used the Holiday Coro RBG hardware before?  Or maybe you are currently?

Any thoughts?  Good, bad or indifferent?  I'm just looking at them since they put up their new website and looks like some cheaper stuff compared to order from china where the module is less than $1 but you pay $21 for shipping.  That is just nuts.

Anyway..  Thought about ordering a sample pack they offer to get all the basic hardware.  This might allow me to play around with it and see if it's something I really want to do.  Yes I'm planning for this years shows! :)

Thanks in advance!

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2011 Light Count: 8,700

[img width= height=]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/160.gif[/img]

Offline steve_hirst

Re: Holiday Coro RGB
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, »
yes I have used them and many of there other products and they all work great.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, »
I've built his Coro Star, and 2 of his Coro Flakes.  Great stuff!! They show very well and received a lot of positive comments!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Ron

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, »
I've got several things from them as well.  David's a good guy and easy to work with.

Ron

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, »
I just bought a sample pack to play around with myself.

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, »
Oh I've dealt with him before with some coro stuff.  Great to deal with but was just curious about his stock of RGB stuff.  Don't want to waste money on something that I can't use even if it's for testing purposes is all...

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, »
waste? :)

I used my pieces to build a sign.  with the dmx controller and pixels you could make anything you want.  with another 'sample' I created a self-contained christmas gift for my boss.  (just plug it in and you get blinky-blinky. :) )
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, »
lol well not waste per se.. :)

Sounds good...  Looks like it's time to buy some samples of this stuff.

Can these samples be used with RJ's stuff too?  I mean once I buy the pixel net stuff anyway?  I haven't even gotten into any of it yet.  Although I did get an Etherdongle so that might help me. :)  But nothing else yet.

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, »
The DMX controllers offered by Harrison (cheapdmx.com) and David (holidaycoro.com) talk the same DMX used by RJ's stuff... as you will find to be the usual case.

The USB dongles 'can' talk DMX, as can the EtherDongles.
But, if you go with Pixelnet firmware on either the USB or Ether Dongles, then the active hubs have a DMX connection for you to use.

In other words... if you have RJ's stuff running, you should have DMX available to you in almost any configuration.

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, »
The DMX controllers offered by Harrison (cheapdmx.com) and David (holidaycoro.com) talk the same DMX used by RJ's stuff... as you will find to be the usual case.

The USB dongles 'can' talk DMX, as can the EtherDongles.
But, if you go with Pixelnet firmware on either the USB or Ether Dongles, then the active hubs have a DMX connection for you to use.

In other words... if you have RJ's stuff running, you should have DMX available to you in almost any configuration.

Excellent point.  The only drawback for me right now is I do not have any pixel net stuff such as active hub. :(  But that's good info.  Being I have both a USB and Ethernet dongle I'll be good either way.  Esp. since I do have a PICKIT 3!!  So I guess I'm more ahead of this game than I thought.  Now it's just down to details. 

I guess this means that I don't have to use their controllers?  Sounds like you have a good grasp on this stuff..  Shed some light please! :)

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, »
I guess this means that I don't have to use their controllers?  Sounds like you have a good grasp on this stuff..  Shed some light please! :)

I like the concepts espoused by Harrison and David, that you create 'elements' that have RGB lights and controller (and even power supply, if you are so inclined) all self-contained.

You have the choice of running a cat5 cable with power on the extra wires direct to your star, monster face, coro tree, star, ... whatever.  The element has its own channel(s) because the controller is packaged inside.

you could have the element contain a power adapter inside as well.  then you connect to your 110v and the cat5 -- both, and have what you need.

you could have your controller outside the element as well...  use 110v strings inside your element and plug those strings into the Lynx Express -- the LE receives power and a DMX connection and gives 110v to each connected string of lights.   ...or instead of 110v into the element, run 12v into the element and directly to the pixels.

there are also other RJ creations that will provide 12v power to various pixels/nodes.  I am not using them, so I will not represent their strengths/benefits -- but there are some that have 128 12v connections using solid state relays (SSRs) that are deployed to your elements.

what you should get from this is that there is a lot of flexibility within the design, and there are no one-size-fits-all answers.  you define a problem, and you find a solution that best meets your needs.  More likely than not DLA has it already.  If you don't find an exact match that you can solder for yourself, then DLA also allows you to connect other DMX elements together into the DLA space.

There are even configurations that allow you to use your existing LOR equipment -- you change a jumper on the LOR controllers and the then talk DMX, and your EtherDongle or USB dongle can be used to communicate to that LOR equipment.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, by Steve Gase »

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, »
Interesting info.  Interesting concepts. hmmmm

So a ton of options here...  This is gonna get complicated quickly I see... lol  More to think about....  I do not have any LOR stuff so RJ's stuff is all I have.  Just gotta figure out what it is I want to do.

Time to get sample pack and play around with it I guess.  This is the time for this stuff so when the time comes it's already done! :)  Well aside from sequencing! lol

Thanks Steve!

Dean
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: 

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, »
HolidayCoro is first rate in every respect.  I bought a couple CoroFlakes and my neighbor bought a Coro Northstar ... and both products are excellent.  The Coro Northstar uses the holidaycoro RGB  DMX controllers and they worked great using the DMX out coming from a Lynx Express. 
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline mykroft

• Restrictive
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, »
Just Remember the stuff that cheapdmx and holidaycoro sell are considered "DUMB" nodes/modules.  They have no chips in the strips/modules/rectangles etc - their colors are controlled by the DMX modules variable voltage to mix colors.  So on the samples you get, 3 rect nodes, and 3 square nodes on a single string are ALL controlled together, they can not be seperated on a single controller like the "SMART" string stuff can.

Now not saying this is a bad thing, you just need to remember the capabilities of each type of setup.  With the "DUMB" you need seperate controllers if you want to have different colors at the same time.  Each setup has its pros/cons - just depends on what you need.

Personally in "my" opinion - the "SMART" way is the future way as you can do the "DUMB" style and use null nodes if you need multiple/seperate elements - but have the future ability for the seperate multi colors in the future.

Hopefully David gets his sample video back up soon, a good example is the stars out in his yard.  He daisy chained all the power/data (up to X number of stars to not overload the power supply) from one star to the next in his yard, all using cat5 cable - but each star has a seperate $7 DMX module in them so they can be controlled seperate, i think each star had 3 rectangle nodes in them.  Looked very nice.

This also can be obtained with a pixelnet controller and same setup as long as there is no more than 6' between the stars (if I remember correctly) - advantage here - 1 pixelnet controller for 26 stars if you keep with same 3 node per star setup - and can still be done with cat5 cable.  So the advantage here is you save on controller cost, but spend a little more on the leds.

Again, either way is a good choice - just depends on your hardware - if your mostly DMX, stay with the DMX controllers, if you want to go pixelnet - head off in that direction.

Another good example that I am in the process of doing now - is his northstar - if you want seperate controllable legs - you need 8 DMX modules, vs 1 or 2 pixelnet controllers to do the same thing - I am gonna use 2 to split up the power in half so whites stay white at the end of the strings instead of a pinkish white.  Again it all depends on what type of hardware you want to use or are already using.

Hope this helps you make a better decision on which way to go - good luck and happy building :)

Myk
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, by mykroft »

Offline deanathpc

• Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, »
So when you are talking about pixelnet controllers are you referring to the Smart String Controllers?
-------------------
Dean
Check out our web site: