Author Topic: Input power cords  (Read 1510 times)

Offline lonewolf41

• Coop Manager
Input power cords
« on: August 31, 2010, »
Power cords can definitely add to the cost of the LE.  Most of my output cords are indoor extension cords that I get from garage sales, Goodwill, etc so that usually isn't too much of an issue but the input cords seem like are harder to find something that will work good at a reasonable cost.  Well in my quest to build the best, most inexpensive setup possible, I have stumbled across a couple of ideas that I think have some merit. 

First of all, I noticed that my wife's hair dryer (as well as most of the newer ones) have a built-in GFCI.   The cord on my wife's seems to say 15 gauge wire so I don't know if that is some metric equivalent or what, but they should be at least 16 gauge as a hair dryer uses quite a bit of current.  I see these things all over garage sales, etc for $1 or so.  For someone running low amps and/or using LEDs, taking the cord off an old hair dryer seems like it would be perfect to power an LE and give you GFCI protection at the same time.  Seems like win-win to me.

Secondly, for those of us needing more capacity than a 16 (or 15???) gauge cord will safely supply, I think I have stumbled on another inexpensive solution.  I see those 6 outlet power strips/surge suppressors all the time in garages sales, etc. for $0.50 to $2.  I got to looking at them and 95%+ of them use 14 gauge cord for the input wire.  I have started buying these and taking them apart and using the cord for the LE input power and just throwing the rest away.  Most have cords that are a couple of feet long, but I have found a couple of older ones that have 4-6 foot cords on them.  A 6 foot, 14 gauge cord for LE input power for $1 seems like a good deal to me...especially since they already have the male ends on them which can run over $3 by themselves.

Anyway, I hope this might help others save some money while still producing a quality, reliable product.

Thanks,
-Keith

Offline tennhillbilly

Re: Input power cords
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, »
Sounds like a good idea to me

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, »
I buy the cheapest 100ft 14ga extension cord I can find and cut it into 6 to 8ft pieces and put a plug on that I buy from the big box hardware stores.  I've found good 14ga cords on sale in the past at both Lowes and Northern Tool.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline meman

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, »
I'm not a major tree hugger or anything, but those are great ideas for recycling components of products that have outlived their usefulness.

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, »
Another good source for heavy duty power input cords is to touch bases with anyone you know that works with servers in IT...
Most rack mount servers (typically used in any server room) come with long heavy duty cords. Often these are not used as they are too long and bulky. We replace then with shorter (and thinner) cables to make more room in the back of the racks...
These cables are typically 14 or even 12 Gauge......

So hound any IT folks that are involved with any server installations......

I know we have tossed (sent to a recycler) probably hundreds of then out over the years (we have a lot of servers)...

Now if I could only find cheap "output" cables with a nice moulded on grounded outlet.......

Bob
zappedmyself.com