Author Topic: Radio Shack Desoldering Iron  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
Radio Shack Desoldering Iron
« on: September 16, 2011, »
Some people on here have mentioned Radio Shack's Desoldering iron with the little rubber bulb on the end of it. I'm on vacation in the U.S. now and saw one in Radio Shack and was about to buy it until I saw the rubber bulb alone for half the price. What is the advantage of having the all in one unit for double the price? I do have two hands... so one hand for the solder iron and the other for the bulb.   ;D
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
Re: Radio Shack Desoldering Iron
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, »
You have a point although when I bought mine the cost was just $11.00. Since it wasn't that much and others were saying how well it worked I just bought it.  :)

Leon
Leon

Offline KeithTarpley

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, »
Greetings,,,

Some times it's easier to get one solder iron in a tight spot, than two devices.

Keith
"Now I know the only foe is time." -Moody Blues

Offline lineman

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, »
Along with what has already been stated hers a little more, I have both and the problem with just the bulb type is the end melts and was hard to do 2 things at once, with the other all you do is let it get hot put it over the solder and release the bulb with one hand your other hand can be pulling on the component to help remove it
Jeff

Offline jeffcoast

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, »
I bought a desoldering vacuum thing and have the most trouble getting it right where I need it, and hold the soldering iron where it needs to be, even with using a vice to hold the pcb. I think it was this one You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I had better luck with the soldering braid, but may want to try something all in one, so I can keep the heat on until the solder is sucked out.
Jeff Cook
Orlando, FL

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, »
Thanks everyone. I'm an anti-clutter type of guy, so I was hoping to avoid having extra junk in the house. Mind you, I'm starting to be less and less of that type of person since I've taken up ny new hobby.  :)

Anyways, I'll be getting the all-in-one unit. I've used the cylindrical tube type solder sucker in the past which sucked (not literally!); I was wondering if the rubber bulb type was better.

Offline BryanV

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, »
Gary;  While your vacationing down in San Fran if you havent picked up the solder sucker could you grab me one too. Pass it on to my wife and she can bring it home.
Thanks

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, »
I've tried them all with great frustration til I got the RS desoldering iron.  Have not had any frustration since at removing anything.  I'm only left with the frustration at HAVING to remove something!!!!!!
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, »
The best desolder tools have a heated cylindrical tip and a foot switch for a vacuum pump. Works great but expensive.