Author Topic: 1 channel don't light  (Read 1720 times)

Offline royce

1 channel don't light
« on: December 17, 2018, »
  I have a LE -V5 controller. One channel stopped working. The led for that channel will light-up, but no power to the connector side.  I changed the chip. Before  I started changing parts, I would like some advice. Thanks

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
Re: 1 channel don't light
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  I have a LE -V5 controller. One channel stopped working. The led for that channel will light-up, but no power to the connector side.  I changed the chip. Before  I started changing parts, I would like some advice. Thanks

Hello!

What channel number is not working?

Changed the chip?   The optocoupler (the 6-pin IC) you swapped it with a known good one?

It's possible the TRIAC is bad, but I'd be eyeballing the soldering of the opto, resistor, the TRIAC solder joints, and finally, the terminal strip solder joints.  That's (by far) the number one problem of the Expresses I've repaired, bad or missing solder joints.  Especially ensure ALL of the solder joints of the opto are good.  Also, make absolutely sure the pins of the opto are all properly seated in the socket.   That's what I'd do before considering replacing the TRIAC as the majority of time, the TRIAC fails locked ON.

Please let us know!

:) joe

"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)

Offline royce

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, »
Thanks for all the info. I'll let you know the results. It was channel 6 that stopped working.

Offline royce

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, »

Hello!

Changed the chip?   The optocoupler (the 6-pin IC) you swapped it with a known good one?

It's possible the TRIAC is bad, but I'd be eyeballing the soldering of the opto, resistor, the TRIAC solder joints, and finally, the terminal strip solder joints.  That's (by far) the number one problem of the Expresses I've repaired, bad or missing solder joints.  Especially ensure ALL of the solder joints of the opto are good.  Also, make absolutely sure the pins of the opto are all properly seated in the socket.   That's what I'd do before considering replacing the TRIAC as the majority of time, the TRIAC fails locked ON.

Please let us know!

Found my problem, I did all the re soldering still didn't work, so I did a ohm check  and seen I had a problem The left leg of triac goes to the + side of the channel connector and I didn't have any continuity there The middle leg goes to the fuse and the right leg goes to the 180 ohm Ended up taking the triac out and seen solder missing around holes in the board that connect to the circuits. Guess I got a dead #6. Had a  back up LE so life is good.

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, »
Bad via?  Well, good thing you figured it out!!

:) joe

Hello!

Please let us know!

Found my problem, I did all the re soldering still didn't work, so I did a ohm check  and seen I had a problem The left leg of triac goes to the + side of the channel connector and I didn't have any continuity there The middle leg goes to the fuse and the right leg goes to the 180 ohm Ended up taking the triac out and seen solder missing around holes in the board that connect to the circuits. Guess I got a dead #6. Had a  back up LE so life is good.
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)