Author Topic: Getting my head around things ...  (Read 753 times)

Offline alchamist

Getting my head around things ...
« on: December 31, 2013, »
Hi guys,

As I posted in my intro, I am looking to step foot into the animated display arena. I have a couple of challenges to overcome:

1. I don't have a lot of real estate to play with when it comes to surface area. To give you an idea, here is a pic of my standard lights this year (No laughing please!):

And in the daylight (it's the left hand side of the two)

I have a reasonable amount of lawn in front of the house, but it's joined to a communal area, so I have to be careful of trip hazards etc. Not adverse to putting lights on the roof, but don't have the means to access that just yet. This year I put RGB 5050 strips across the roof line and around the porch roof. The other lights are pre-animated so I will be looking to replace those.

Any ideas on how to best use the space would be appreciated - though I want classy not "fill every space"!  ;)

2. Living in the UK, many of the controller options are not really viable for me at the moment. There is someone that occasionally sells LOR stuff on eBay, and I believe there is an official supplier, but costs become a little prohibitive.

I have done a little research so far, and wanted to tap you guy's expert opinions on these things. Again, please remember that my choices for equipment are somewhat limited:

To reuse the straight You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (probably on the downpipes), I have found You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Would that work?

I have also found You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login strips, with You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login controller to provide the addressing. Again, thoughts would be appreciated.

I also thought of using the above to make some arches - but I'm not sure if I have the space along the front to make them worthwhile. I could run them down the side of the path to my driveway, but without them being face on I'm not sure if they don't lose some impact.

I'd like to do something around the windows, but that might be a case of straight forward 5050 strip around the outside frame with controller to begin with due to costs.

All thoughts and suggestions welcome. Please go gentle with me - remember I'm just a beginner in this!
There are two kinds of people in the world - those that can extrapolate from incomplete data

Offline drlucas

Re: Getting my head around things ...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, »
....talk to the neighbour about the righthand side and see if that's an option. the world opens up (as will your pocketbook) if you can do both sides of that building!

if that's NOT an option then you have a lot of real estate on the 1/2 of the roof to put on some coroflakes. outline the door/windows/downpipes(as you mentioned) and then maybe stick a star or spinner in-between the windows (either left/right or top/bottom).

dmx controller won't control your rgb (it may control one light, but that's it, not the strip, unless the strip is a dumb string strip and all the lights change colours at one time - which i think it is , but at $1 if that's the real price I'd be skeptical very very skeptical - look at the wiki for real rgb solutions) . the zeus/active hub and ssc WILL. If your lawn is common area, then I'd stay away from that for another year and focus on the house. I think you are going in the right direction for sure.

I'm sure others here will have other ideas/comments. BTW: no laughing your pic has 3 more strands on it than I had last year...I had just a single strand of lights across the one eavestrough of my place!
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, »
I love the symmetry of the whole building.

Suggestions for just you:
  • RGB strings/strips around the windows - even the small one
  • Matrix on the awning over your front door
  • Keep the strip on the front roof line (or use strings)
  • Use the same light type on the downspouts as you do for the roofline
  • The path up to your door begs for either small trees or luminaries
  • Maybe a wreath between the 2 upstairs windows
  • Trim lowest left branch on tree  :D

If you talk your neighbor into it (in addition to doing the same things mentioned above on their side):
  • Outline entire roof
  • Strobes on roof

I would stay away from putting things on the left or right side of the yards if it's communal. 

Use curves/round objects in your yard when possible.  Your house has nice clean, straight lines so throwing some curves in will be a nice contrast.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, »
I saw the house and thought what great symmetry!  Look up Zwiller's 2012 shows on here, he has a similiar house shape as yourself and does a very wonderful show with not too much.  You could easily mimic a lot of his elements and have a classy show and not break the bank.

I'm sure RJ and the others can figure out how to adapt the various pieces here to your supply voltage.  All the rgb equipment we support here runs off 12v dc except the aethers which arw 12-18v ac from landscaping lighting transformers.

Check out the links in the Wiki to Ray's store, I am sure he has some power supplies that are compatible with your system as there are a lot of Aussies and they are on 50hz 240v systems.   I would suggest checking on Meanwell power supplies, a higher quality alternative to the standard.

Also since most of the diyla rgb equipment is powered from atx computer supplies, you should be able to source those reasonable there, perhaps a recycler.

Alan

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, »
I agree. Zwiller does an excellent show with a small simple house. Here's a link to his videos, for easy reference:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline alchamist

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, »
Thanks guys,

Zwiller's show gives me some ideas for layout, so that's great.

I still need to get my head around the control gear as well. It's annoying that the animated light bug hasn't fully hit the UK yet, so getting equipment is a pain. On the plus side at least it's should be a unique sight to the neighbours if I get it sorted!  ;D

There are two kinds of people in the world - those that can extrapolate from incomplete data