Author Topic: Sequencing software comparisons/reviews?  (Read 2615 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: Sequencing software comparisons/reviews?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, »
It was not open source but IIRC, the next version will be.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, »
Why did the guy stop developing vixen further then what the software is now.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
(Vixen 2.5 is used well by some, but is not as stable and has not been released. There are conversion utilities if you want to go from one version to the other.)     
Why did the guy stop developing vixen further then what the software is now.

KC, the original author of Vixen, released a beta version of 2.5 in 2009, creating a small application that converted 2.1 files to 2.5.

Some people found problems with the 2.5 series and needed to switch back to 2.1, so KC created a "downverter," that brought 2.5-series files back to 2.1 format.

There are a large number of people who use 2.5 for their shows (me included). The reasons why some people can use 2.5 and others can't has never been fully explained, but the whole process gave KC pause.

But he did not stop developing Vixen; creating the software is his hobby and avocation and as with all hobbies, sometimes it's good to step away. He took 2010 off, leaving us with 2.1 and 2.5. If you can't run 2.5, you can run 2.1 and while KC never pulled the word "beta" off of 2.5, if you can use it, it is as stable as 2.1.

During his time away from Vixen, KC decided it needed to be rewritten from the ground up. Earlier this year he approached a couple of other software developers in the do-it-yourself Christmas community and they parceled out the project and a new 3.0 series of Vixen will be released soon -- though not in time for this Christmas season (an alpha may be released around the first of the year so that people can test it using displays already set up).

So: if you're adventurous or need dimming light curves on every channel, then go for Vixen 2.5. If you aren't feeling lucky and don't need dimming curves on every channel, then use Vixen 2.1.

HTH.

\dmc

PS: The new 3.0 series will still be free -- as in beer -- and it will be very modular. The APIs for the modules to plug into the core engine will be published and if people who develop modules want to make them Open Source and free (as in both beer and speech), that will be up to them.

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, »
So: if you're adventurous or need dimming light curves on every channel, then go for Vixen 2.5. If you aren't feeling lucky and don't need dimming curves on every channel, then use Vixen 2.1.

Of course KC added in curves after playing with the LE

Cheers

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline ronniek

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, »
I have always used vixen until recently. I got Light show pro when 2.0 was released. I didn't know it was so expensive untill i got it and saw that you needed the higher priced version to use it on the smart strings. RJ had told me that you had to think differently useing it and i see why now. I'm thinking i might like vixen better. It doesn't do what i thought it would but that is my fault. There is some things easer on Light Show Pro but some things i can do easer on vixen. Not real sure yet if I will use vixen or Light show Pro this year. Good Luck.

Ronniek

Offline holland lights

• holland lights
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, »
I have always used vixen until recently. I got Light show pro when 2.0 was released. I didn't know it was so expensive until i got it and saw that you needed the higher priced version to use it on the smart strings. RJ had told me that you had to think differently using it and i see why now. I'm thinking i might like vixen better. It doesn't do what i thought it would but that is my fault. There is some things easier on Light Show Pro but some things i can do easier on vixen. Not real sure yet if I will use vixen or Light show Pro this year. Good Luck.

Ronnie k
Yea to bad you cant export lsp sequence to vixen, you can only export the sequence in lor, and animated lighting.