Author Topic: The modified coop  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Trepidati0n

The modified coop
« on: January 19, 2011, »
The point of a coop is primarily reduce the cost of the hobby.  It is not make the coop manager money.  However, massive coops + one person = nightmare.  It causes people to, unfortunatley, close coops early.  Everybody feels bad and the coop manager knows he has a ton of work coming up.  However, what I noticed after evaluating a few of the BOM's is that just a few parts are significant portion of the cost.  What is further compounded, at least in my mind from previous experience is 90% of the coop managers work is in parts that are maybe 10% of the cost.  so, what I have done, with other hobbies is take the burden of the big hitters and let everyone else handle their own little stuff.  Or in this case, make mouser do all the dirty work.   ;D

For example:

Aether, QTY 1 = $137.15 just for parts
Aether, QTY 100 = $89.71 just for parts

Pretty obvious..coops save money.

However, of that $47.44 savings 90% of it is within 8 unique parts or 18 total parts.  

So what i'm asking is how people would feel about hybrid coops where when you participate, you are cooping to get the PCB and the "big hitters" and you go out and get the others?

This in turn would:

1. Get people 90% of the savings
2. Reduce the coop managers work load significantly

I could just imagine how much time this would save RJ's father on the LE's and still mee the primary goal of a coop.

-------

Note: I have ignored PCB's.  These guys automatically save money when coop'd, especially large coops.
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline tng5737

Re: The modified coop
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, »
Hybrid coops could work providing:
 a) a BOM was provided for those parts not included.
 b) that the savings would still be available,  perhaps Mouser and other vendors would not be willing  to give  deeper discounts if the total sale were not as large since only a few of the parts are included. 
 c)  It may turn out that the shipping costs for both the coop portion and the individually purchased parts may further reduce the savings thus defeating the main reason for coops!
d) lastly, if individuals decide to substitute parts from other vendors for the non-coop parts then the end device may not function correctly and cause further load on RJ and others wasting time helping troubleshoot problems due to parts not in spec.

Offline Trepidati0n

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hybrid coops could work providing:
 a) a BOM was provided for those parts not included.
 b) that the savings would still be available,  perhaps Mouser and other vendors would not be willing  to give  deeper discounts if the total sale were not as large since only a few of the parts are included. 
 c)  It may turn out that the shipping costs for both the coop portion and the individually purchased parts may further reduce the savings thus defeating the main reason for coops!
d) lastly, if individuals decide to substitute parts from other vendors for the non-coop parts then the end device may not function correctly and cause further load on RJ and others wasting time helping troubleshoot problems due to parts not in spec.

Good devil's advocate.

a) Easy enough to do with mouser.
b) The prices I indicated were directly from mouser.  However, it is possible that RJ and crew do get super special pricing, beyond what their site shows, when they submit for quote.
c) This is possible.  However, in my mind as a hobbiest...if I am putting that much pressure on one person to save $10 or so total, it does cause me some guilt.  I think this might be part of the reason there is no dongle coop.
d) This could always happen if a person just got the PCB (RJ always tends to carry spares after a coop)
No electrons were harmed during the creation of this thread. All threads are made with 100% recycled electrons. No electrons were discriminated against based upon race, age, religion, or direction of spin. The views in this post may or may not reflect the views of DLA or the views outside my window.

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, »
totally loses the #2 main reason for the Coops.

Easy for a first timer as they do not have to overcoming parts ordering and back orders, alternatives, getting stuff from multiple places, ect.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline Al

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, »
i think this is a great idea, I know i am new here but i cant imagine all the work it would take to put together all the kits.
if it would help the coop managers out i am all for it.

Offline deweycooter

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, »
I've often wondered if it would help if people nearby could contribute a few hours to help in the sorting process.  I know I'd be willing to help.