Author Topic: ordering extra parts  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Al

ordering extra parts
« on: February 06, 2011, »
I am going to place an order for Lynx USB dongle and was thinking if it would be a good idea to order a few extra parts
for Lynx Express or the dongles.

anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
Al

Offline Randy_A

• Lockport Lights
Re: ordering extra parts
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, »
Al,

A good friend on here told me to buy extra parts, I listened to him and am happy that I did. I have the extra parts on hand. Don't know what to tell you to order. Just went to Ebay and found the parts and ordered. It is nice to have them on hand so you don't have to pay the postage from mouser or others.

Hope this help's..

Randy

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, »
Extra parts are good to have and it will save you a fortune in shipping by ordering them along with the dongle parts.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, »
I don't know what I would so with just a few extra parts... I would think that they would eventually migrate their way into the junk drawer, into a jumbled mess--never to be used. I would rather buy double of all the parts, assemble an extra dongle, so it the thing dies half-way through December, I have another one ready to go.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline trekster

• A Lynx Express Device........ Fascinating! ;
    • My 2010 Videos
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, »
The crystal on my dongle died (the little silver square box).  Thanks to R.J. it was narrowed down as bad and I replaced it.  I would probably order a couple of triacs for the Express.  I hear of people letting out the magic smoke from time to time.

Ron
My 2010 Videos

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, »
A lot of the parts are used in quantities of 1, 2, or 3, but if you look at the Mouser site, they are cheaper in quantities of 10, like resistors. They run 0.11 for 1 or 0.46 for 10, my thoughts are why not have the extra parts on hand. Also, most of RJ's designs use the same parts, so while saving money per item, you also have a head start on soldering the next project. Here's a few pics of what I do.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, »
Very nice and organized!  Where did you get all the pill jars? 

I can see both sides.  I'm personally more likely to built a spare, then switch to it in the event of a failure.

I've done that with my LOR stuff ... and kept that spare PC16 board around in case I had a failure.  So far, haven't
used it.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, »
When you're old and decrepit........

Offline tng5737

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, »
I prefer to just order spares for the critical components of the display - extra dongle, LE, etc...  If you have a failure during your show it's a lot easier to just plug n go!  I've got  a lot of "extra" parts I had bought many years ago which have never been used (and probably never will)! 

Offline chrisatpsu

• ahhh, yes... my new blink-i-nator 3000!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, »
i picked up a few 30-drawer storage bins for about $11 each in the tools area of walmart.

they hold the parts perfectly.

i also use them for the other household parts storge.  hooks, picture hanging kits... etc...
To rule the entire tri-state area!  What's that? Perry the Platypus!!!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, »
I have one extra pic for each type of product I use along with a couple of 485 chips, a couple of opto chips and some triacs.  Resistors are relatively easy to find locally, but it sure is cheap to order a few extra when placing an order.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA