Author Topic: My Soldering Set Up, Soldering and Re-Work  (Read 1455 times)

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
My Soldering Set Up, Soldering and Re-Work
« on: March 19, 2011, »
After reading through the forums a bit I thought I would try making a video showing the tools I use for building boards, how I solder and how I remove a component when needed. I really don't use anything special, just what I think is a good basic setup. I also show what can happen if you leave a soldering iron touching the board for too long.

This is what I use and how I use it, hopefully it is informative and or helpful.

Rich

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Re: My Soldering Set Up, Soldering and Re-Work
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, »
Thanks for the refresher.  The last 30 seconds is very important to watch and not experience.

Offline TheBanker

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, »
Hey good job.  Keep making them.  <pop..
Will

Offline inzeos

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, »
Be careful if you are using a 40w iron.  My guess is if you are a seasoned and experienced person in regards to soldering you should be OK.  However, for those new that is a lot power to be wielding.  I've been doing all my work without issues with a 20w iron.

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, »
Great job, right on time for me.
Thank you.

Offline mikedbom

• NorthBridge Web Design
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, »
Great video.  question about de-soldering...i've used a solder sucker in the past with decent results.  the only issue i've had is in tight spaces or joints that are really close together.  i guess using a combination of the two would work well but what are your thoughts on solder suckers?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, »
THEY SUCK!!!!    ;D

Just kidding, I do use both. and I also use this :

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline NavyGator

• Coop Manager
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, »
Great video.  question about de-soldering...i've used a solder sucker in the past with decent results.  the only issue i've had is in tight spaces or joints that are really close together.  i guess using a combination of the two would work well but what are your thoughts on solder suckers?

Honestly I have never liked using a solder sucker or a desoldering iron that has a sucker on it. I have used a dedicated rework station with a built in vacuum pump which was nice.

When using a solder sucker I never like having to heat up the joint then take the iron off and get the sucker on and push the button. It can end up taking several times to get enough solder out of the joint which means your are heating the board and component several different times. This can lead to problems such as lifting pads or damaging the component.

When using an inexpensive desoldering iron they make it impossible to see the joint while you are working with heat applied. Also the iron tip can cool rapidly while you are using the bulb to suck the solder, meaning you need to keep heating up the joint to increase the temperature. Also the iron tip is so large that unless you are working on large pad some part of the tip will be resting on the fiberglass board. Again, this can lead to problems such as lifting pads or damaging the component.

Some of the dedicated rework stations are more user friendly and have different size tips with a vacuum pump and definitely make the job easier. There are also hot air stations but I have never used one so I can't comment on those.

I personally like using the wick because its simple, it works, its cheap and I feel I have better control of the heat.

One last note, I feel that people should spend time desoldering on a practice board before doing any work on a project board. You have to train for problems to be able to handle them.

I dunno, I guess that is my two cents worth.

Rich

Offline inzeos

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, »
THEY SUCK!!!!    ;D

RJ

Which product were you referencing on that site RJ?

Offline scottmc70

• Kell Christmas Lights
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, »
Great Videos NavyGator   <pop..
Very helpful thanks for taking the time to make it. <res.
The little lights aren't twinkling Clark
[img width= height= alt=channel count]http://www.planetchristmas.com/signatures/img/vix_48_lightgray_blue.gif[/img]

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, »
THEY SUCK!!!!    ;D

RJ

Which product were you referencing on that site RJ?

The chipquik solder. It is low temp and melts into the solder then keeps it flowing for way longer than normal.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying