Author Topic: digital strip test in film tube  (Read 2789 times)

Offline angus40

Re: digital strip test in film tube
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, »
dumb is good for elements that do not require digital , also dumb is less on the sequencing end .

if you are creating wire frame figures or coro designs dumb rgb will be sufficient .

I plan on using a mix of different lighting types and layering my display .

:)

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, »
I'm keeping my display simple (minus one thing that I've been working on that no one is doing and will get a video once I get all my stuff).  I know the following opinion may "offend" people, but it is not meant to.  It is simply what I like to see.

I see these huge displays with 70,000+ lights and they look guaty to me.  Plus the lights are not choreographed to the music, beats or crescendos.  There is just WAY too much going on.  I went to 5 light shows here in Jacksonville, 3 were horribly choreographed/programmed, one was decent and the smallest one was by far the best.  It looks like the people spent 95% buying and hanging lights and 5% on programming. 

One very popular blinky flashy guy said he spent 15 hours for every minute of music.  AND, it showed.  That seems about right to me.  My guess is he had 10k-15k nodes and 30k-45k channels.

While that all seems off topic, the point is simple, a few outlines of your house, a very sparse yard display (maybe a mega tree and some arches),  a few strobes, and some spot lights.  Say 10k nodes and 30k channels.  To me, when you keep it that small but add in the freedom of color and great ideas like this arch, the smart strings are the only way to go.

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
digital strip test in film tube
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, »
I second that.
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, »
I just thought of something to help with the arch.  What if you used those sticks that coming with camping tents.  Some how attach it to the back of the tube to give it shape and structure.

Offline Mike Hill

• Here to learn
digital strip test in film tube
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, »
Any good with welding?  You can weld guides for the arches too.  I think someone has posted pics of guides made of ironrod material.  I have seen them before, one of the Christmas supply companies sells them.  I will try to find their link and post it.
Mike Hill
First display date 11-2011
"Never explain your actions, your enemies don't believe it and your friends don't need it."

Offline angus40

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, »
Remember this  though about other peoples show-display . they are " doing something "

For other peoples enjoyment .

We will all have Gauty - hap hazard  parts to our display , no matter how well it looks to  the creators.

Opinions are like a$$&)(^& Every one has one.

Think of how many houses you see with nothing - Zeor - zilch - nada .

End Rant.