Author Topic: latest order from Ray still very slow  (Read 4883 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
latest order from Ray still very slow
« on: March 11, 2014, »
FYI -

I placed an order with Ray on Feb 12 for 30 strings of SS Nodes figuring things would be a little smoother/faster in the "off season".

I also used paypal this time, after having heard good luck from others doing so on the forums.  I didn't see any significant discount for paying
direct vs. using aliexpress.  He did agree to give me some free quick connectors since my last batch was very defective (many were shorted) and of poor quality
(horrible threads).

Prior to this order, I had used aliexpress and gotten him to create a custom quote "item" in the aliexpress store for me, where I would get a link to an item title as "Mr Scott" or something.   That was a little reassuring because I at least could track my order on the website.  Not with this method (paying with paypal) ... as no order can be seen -- its just blind faith.  I also think he may be losing track of these orders as well, as there is no system to remind him.

So here is my update -- basically he got me a quote within a few days and I mentioned the invoice# on my paypal payment.
After hearing nothing for over a week I send him a message and he replied that he got the payment and lights would ship in about 8 days.

Well its now around 8 days past when he said they would be shipped and still no email or message from Ray.

I feel like I know even less than when I used aliexpress and while I trust Ray -- this is not a good experience and using paypal has
only increased that uncertainty with nothing to track or check status for.

I'm sitting at about 1 month out since paying and its just blind trust at this point.  Just disappointing that this process is so-o slow and
the communication so poor.  I mean he responds in a day or two, but otherwise I think I'd probably hear nothing unless I nag for an
update.  I was thinking that my last order was like this because of the pre-Christmas rush ... but its basically the same exprience now,
only worse because I used paypal direct instead of using aliexpress.

I'm not saying all experiences are like this -- I just wish the process would improve over time.  I am in no real rush for the lights, but
I am disappointed yet again.

Scott
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline arw01

Re: latest order from Ray still very slow
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, »
He has been slow on chat lately too, if you catch him you have him about 5 minutes and then it's a day or 2.

I'm working up an order, may have to look at sourcing it elsewhere.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, »
I agree he is a little slow at times lately but he eventually gets around to getting your stuff out.

He just replaced a large number of my rectangles that tested bad or failed over the season. He actually sent me more that had actually failed. Kudos for that customer service. They tested out a lot better than the ones from last year. I think I got a bad batch.

Just be persistent but patient. They just went though the China new year which lasted a number of days. That probably did more to slow down you order more than anything else.

Offline Rich Renn

• Renn's Lights for Charity
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, »
If this post is out of line please delete it I have been testing Pixels from a new vendor and so far the quality is very good and the service has been very reliable and his prices are as good if not better than Rays. the reason I have went this rout for this year was because of all the issues people have been having with Ray lately. And I felt that he is being over whelmed  and I did not want to wait 4 to 6 weeks for my items. if you would like I will pass the vendors name on and you can talk with him to see what you think.

Richard

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, »
I don't think there is any allegiance specifically with Ray other than he is the initial vendor of lights for this lighting project. Competition keeps vendors from over pricing etc.

If there is another vendor that can deliver the same spec lights at a lower cost bring them on and lets check them out.

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, »
There is a 96 long thread on facebook about ray and the new source, Paul Zhang

My feeling
1) Ray has been honest. No one has ever said Ray has cheated them
2) Ray has the largest selection you can browse
3) Ray has become more and more slow to respond to people. This may because he has more and more business

The new person, Paul Zhang, works for a chinese lighting company. I don't know if orders are going through his company or he his using his contacts with the wholesale manufacturers.
Paul
1) Has taken and shipped a number of orders for people that were > $1000
2) Is very responsive. Usually order goes out in same day. The way he communicates is by facebook
3) He doesnt have a website. His standard procedure is you send him a link to lights (like from Ray's site) and he comes back with a quote
4) ALl feedback seems to be positive.

As an example:
I asked for a quote for
(1) ws2811 12v flex strips and (10) tm1804, 100 nodes lights.

Ray
(10) ws2811 12v flex strips, $24 each
(10) tm1804, 100 node, $36 each
shipping $90

Paul
(10) ws2811 12v flex strips, $24 each
(10) tm1804, 100 node, $35 each
shipping $81

So I would save about $20 on the Ray $690 order if i went with paul. This was a 3% saving.

Paul has the advantage that he is quoting against Ray.

In Summary, I would not have a problem ordering from either one. I will probably order from Ray again since i am not in a time crunch. Ray may need to get more help to handle the order volume he has. I have some loyalty to Ray in how he handled bad strings i have had in the past. He sent new ones and did not ask for the old ones back. i do not know what pauls policy of defective parts will be., I do think a large portion of Ray's base is moving over to the new guy. Customer service (you cannot over communicate with a customer) is key.

I have copied the gist of this post and sent it to Ray so he is aware there is competition.

thanks
sean
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, »
I have been loyal to Ray the entire time.  He has always been fair and trustworthy.  I am just saying its disappointing the "the process" has not improved.  I'm glad his business is so good, but learning to grow the business and make "the process" better is part of any company being successful in the long run.  If he doesn't, then competitors will earn the business instead.  I just prefer to stay with one supplier because I feel there is value in doing so vs. saving a few bucks with the cheap guy of the month.

One of the reasons I posted this was not to slam Ray in any way ... its just to give my perspective and experience, which is that (1) you don't really save money using paypal direct vs. aliexpress ... and the other is that (2) I think I was better off placing the order (with a custom pre-order quote) through aliexpress, because I believe Ray uses that to keep track of things ... as I feel like I'm babysitting my order now via. emails and messages ... and he did reply overnight ... and its another 8 days ... which means, they haven't started the order yet, 31 days later.  Thats ok, because I'm in no rush.  Just disappointing.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, »
I copied my post from here and sent it to ray

i got a response from him 15 minutes later

"Dear Mr.Sean,

thanks for your reminding, much much appreciated.

i did not know how seriouse thing is, thanks for your information.

i will create a facebook page and respond in a faster way at your suggestion.
i know my shipment is very slow, i am making large stock this spring, so maybe thing will be better soon,many people like to make custom order,such as different wire spacing, wire color, etc for these customized products, i could not make stock for them.
another reason is there are too many items in my store, sometimes, only one item delay the whole shipment.
anyway, i know that is my fault, i will try to response people fast, and when people place order, i will inform them the order status each week.
thanks for your advise, i will do better soon."

i believe we will see an improvement in his service level. competition is good.
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, »
Thanks Sean ... Sound good

Offline tomwb301

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, »
Thanks Sean.

I have and will place all my orders with Ray.
Tom
Humble, Texas

Offline Rich Renn

• Renn's Lights for Charity
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, »
Ray has always been vary good to me but the reality is there is a need for another trust worthy vendor for those of us that do lighting displays. After doing some research this is who I was informed Paul Zhang was some one to trust so I figured I would give him a try. that is why I mentioned if the post was out of place to delete it. And from what I have see we have some one who will treat us as good as Ray does and I know who is trust worthy when making large purchases.

Richard 

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, »
Scott (taybrynn)

The only money I've save by using paypal is to avoid the international surcharge that the credit card company imposes on me for buying from China.  You may have a card that does not surcharge for buying from China, but I think that most do and I recall that it is about 3%.  By using paypal I have not got hit with that surcharge since my first order plus with that order the cc company also blocked the charge until I called them and stayed on the line with them until the charge went thru.  Too much of a hassle for me that I do not experience by using paypal and Ray seems to absorb the paypal fee as well.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, »
Interesting --- no, I never paid a 3% international surcharge on my CC ... but I can understand why you'd want to avoid that!

Offline jim saul

• The Computer Hero Christmas Lights
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, »
We just need to get ray to accept bitcoin, no transaction fees 8)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, »
Going back and forth still, said another 8th days (twice), then another 5 days, now its another 2-3 days. 

Feb 12th order still hoping for a ship out on 3/26 but he's been very apologetic about everything and I'm
likewise in no hurry, so I'll be happy if they arrive and are of good quality.