Author Topic: MiniTree  (Read 3570 times)

Offline drlucas

MiniTree
« on: May 18, 2014, »
I picked up three of these small tomato cages and trying to figure out the best way to make them into a mini tree. They are about three feet high. The biggest issue right now is the top of the tree is three prongs that I have joined by a make shift clothes hanger.  I think I may want to consider perhaps building a small coro star to put on the top instead and have it give me some better overall support on the top.

Questions I have....

1. What type of topper should I put on?
2. Any better ways to secure the top part of the tree?
3. Should I use nodes like I'm trying now or move to flex strips?
4. Should I wrap nodes around and circle the tree or should I start at top and run the strips down?
5. 360 or 180 degree tree?

I know there are a few dozen ways to light these little trees up but thought I would see what other peoples thoughts are before I got too much further down the build process with my prototype.

-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: MiniTree
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, »
Nice grid you have there. How long is it?

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, »
This link might help. I built nine of these.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline drlucas

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, »
The grid is 90 lights per string 3m or about 11' and have 32 rows. Makes for some really sweet glediator/xlights effects.

Here is one full length picture.

I'll also go check that other link.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline drlucas

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, »
Interesting idea - using two of them and cutting in half. I'll have to go hunting for another three more cages if this works for me.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, »
I'm thinking about using this idea for a nine leg mini tree with vertical flex strips on each leg.
Leesburg, FL

Offline danj

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, »
I have made 16 mini trees (regular incans wrapped...) for my first year (last year).   I held the top together using small hose clamps.  A little knuckle dragging solution, but it worked pretty well.  I tried ty wraps, but I found that they "slip off" of the top of the tree, so I went to the ty wraps.  I just read last night on the spring planet Christmas magazine that they use washers--slip them over the three ends and it kinda locks them in place.  Some ideas for ya...
LOR user with 16 AC channels
E682 user with 360 RGB channels

Offline drlucas

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, »
I'll try the washers and then to the heater hose clamps - thanks!! Sadly I don't have a cutter like the website has so I used some side cutter and worked through it. My hacksaw did nothing but jump around me. Needless to say I have two trees cut and today I'll see if I can join things together. Thanks for the tips!
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, »
I use plain old zip ties to hold the top

Mike

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, »
You can also use a hot glue gun with or without a washer to secure the top as a glue gun is a common tool in our hobby. Works well  ;)

Offline drlucas

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, »
I think hot glue would work better than the liquid tape that was originally used. Gotta love how a prototype tree gets improved upon. I'm also going to use all three of my cages instead of just the two. I know this may mean more trips to the store, but I do like the sounds of a 9 strip tree vs 6 :)

I'll post pictures as I progress through this build.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline DonFL

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, »
I use plain old zip ties to hold the top

Mike

Same here. Just clip the tops a bit, and put a heavy zip tie around it. But the washer idea sounds like its worth checking out.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, »
I personally don't put star toppers on mini trees because the scale isn't always there.  You could possible just do a simple vertical spire with some additional nodes on it and when you sequence it, treat those nodes differently as want, get creative with it?
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, »
Looks like a simple solution. The single cage doesn't appear to have quite the right shape. Several years back I bought pre made two peace trees. 1/4" powder coated round steel , they are heavy duty. They are made in bolt together halves but are still hard to store and were about $25 each + shipping so it was 300 for the 10 I got.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline drlucas

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, »
3 cages seem to look good so far. I guess I'll try without a topper first and wrap the lights around for a 360 degree look. More than likely I'll jump back to a 270 degree look. I also will have to figure out the base because I remember how much snow there was last year. Maybe just sticking it on a milk crate will do the trick. More videos (of the 360 and 270 look) to come. I'll also let you all know how many nodes I end up sticking on it - from top to bottom with standard spacing nodes I can get 12 nodes which is good if I stick with that count as I can light the tree with a single SSC.
-Ryan Lucas-