Author Topic: MiniTree  (Read 3570 times)

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: MiniTree
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2014, »
I honestly don't think the model is the biggest problem, but is contributing in a minor way to it.

Thats a lot of RGB lights into a fairly small display item.  In the end, most NC effects won't look very good because its a whole lot going on in a small object. 

Effects like color wash, twinkle, bars ... will generally be ok.  But because of the size of the display item itself, I think most effects will get "lost" in the small space.

I think RGB into mini trees is kind of accidental mis-use of RGB perhaps ... probably a better use would be RGB dumb nodes, IMHO.

I know thats just an opinion of mine, nothing more. 

I've also found mini trees to be great for 'creating motion' within the show.  Some color changing within the motion may be good.  But if you get into too much more than color changes or twinkling ... I think the mini trees tend to lose the effects because they are more about motion and color ... and less about being a good surface for showing effects, IMHO.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2014, »
Here is my model...

Ideally I'd have 9 strings of 19 nodes I suppose and then all the channels would align.

However in my case I don't have the same number of nodes on each branch.

1-22
2-21
3-21
4-19
5-18
6-19
7-18
8-18
9-20

The above table is really what I have on the tree.

Can I change the individual start channels and keep it at 20 nodes,or does it really not matter (assuming I don't over lap channels beyond the 176 nodes I have)...if that makes sense? BTW It's early and no coffee so I can see how this post is confusing :)

I would create a "custom" model in Nutcracker for the actual number of nodes you have and put in the correct starting pixelnet ch#.
You might create this as a grid with a certain x and y size ... then click on the grid button and you enter in the nodes in whatever physical order you used when installing them onto the tree.

I would do a custom model width of 9 and height of 22 (your max used in any of the 9).

Then go in literally type in the first column (A) the nodes used bottom to top (?) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7....22 (22 total) and then go into the next column (B) and type in top to bottom (if thats how you wired it once you hit the top) .... 23,24,25,,,43 (21 total) ... and keep doing this this you get the nodes shown in the custom model grid.

This example assume you went up for the first 22 nodes, then down the next 21 and then back up for 21 ... and so on per your specs.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, by taybrynn »
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2014, »
I have no plans to put RGB into0 my 16 mini trees or into my mega tree.  I have multiple strings of LED lights in both.  SWMBO likes (and so do I) the ability to have multiple colored strings lit at the same time.  I have 64 strings of LEDs on my 17ft mega tree 8 each or red, green, blue and clear.  I use 2ft flower easels for my mini trees with each having 3 strings of lights (red, green, and clear) wrapped around them.  They are used for chases and color changes.  I do not see a need to do RGB effects on them, but I can use nutcracker for doing chases by calling them a 16 node RGB string   I also have a pixel tree which lets me play with the fancy RGB effects,  It is made of 16 half strips of flexstrip in a 180 config.  My eaves, windows, and 6 porch columns all have RGB on them.  All of this makes for a nice mix of lights for different things doing a show.  I just want Sean to finish making single strand effects more complete.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2014, »
I have used my mini trees for ghosts, but wrapping a piece of either white or orange plastic table cloth around them and putting a plastic halloween bucket on the top for a head.  Just cut the bottom of the bucket? out and jam it over the top and it holds the plastic cloths on with no problem.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, »
Effects like color wash, twinkle, bars ... will generally be ok.  But because of the size of the display item itself, I think most effects will get "lost" in the small space.

I think RGB into mini trees is kind of accidental mis-use of RGB perhaps ... probably a better use would be RGB dumb nodes, IMHO.

Actually, IMHO I believe that dumb nodes would be very limiting for any kind of tree.  While I agree that some of the effects designed for a full sized megatree would get lost in a small 3 foot tree, all that means is rethinking the effects you do with them.  I hoped to build a few this year but it may have to wait until next.  I intend to wrap them in garland and wrap the smart string around the tree pretty much as you would wrap the lights around an inside tree.  Then I cann set up effects that work with that arrangment.  Color washes and fades wrk pretty much the same regardless of how the lights are applied but I also have other ones in mind. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2014, »
I don't have any dumb rgb nodes ... mainly because it doesn't seem to save enough money ... for the lack of control.  What they do provide is a replacement for buying conventional mini or LED "strings".  Since I was very in to having red, green and white on everything ... a single dumb string could have done the same thing and more.  But compared to using smart RGB nodes, they are very limited, I agree.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2014, »
Actually, it can and then again, it can't.  While the dumb string can change to each one of these colors and many more, the problem is that the whole string has to change to the single color selected.  At least with seperate LED strings, you could light any of the single colors as well as any combination of the three (multi-color effect).  This is why I don't plan on using any dumb strings.  The cost savings (as you said) are not enough to make up for the loss of ability.  Even if I really don't need the added capabilities, I can set the controller in dumb string mode and contrl the entire string with 3 channels and when I need the added capability of smart strings, all it takes is to reconfigure the controller and set up the sequences for what I want.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline drlucas

« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2014, »
Thanks for helping me get my head wrapped around this. Makes sense to go this route. I'll get back to work on it this weekend!!

As for the movement comments, I agree. Last season I had candy canes about 40 or so of them that I had sequenced and connected to my LEs. They were awesome. Then the ice storm hit and I realized extension cords to candy canes don't really hold up well...I've since ordered a TON of SPT and hope to direct runs. In the event that fails again, at least I have some mini trees to add to the display. I'm also considering the mini trees as last year I did a 180 degree mega tree with flex strips (12 branches of 10' strips) and ended up turning that mega tree into a mega matrix this year, but still really like the tree effect.

I'll play around with some different effects (maybe full color washes, or maybe use the new transition effect in nutcracker and color wash between colors and see how that looks). I'll definitely share my "successes". I've also found me some really cheap tomato cages (my mom works part time at a lawn centre and will basically get me the unsold cages at no cost come September). I guess I can use them for Halloween following what Jim has done. Very cool ideas!

Then go in literally type in the first column (A) the nodes used bottom to top (?) 1,2,3,4,5,6,7....22 (22 total) and then go into the next column (B) and type in top to bottom (if thats how you wired it once you hit the top) .... 23,24,25,,,43 (21 total) ... and keep doing this this you get the nodes shown in the custom model grid.

This example assume you went up for the first 22 nodes, then down the next 21 and then back up for 21 ... and so on per your specs.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2014, »
I chose dumb strings for my trees and regret it. I agree  many of the patterns and pictures wont work. but spins, sparkles and even just the multi color effects look cool. I wanted the ability to change the trees color but I see now I want some other effects also. Price is really not the issue anymore because the cost has come down for smart nodes.  I have 10 100 count strings I might try something different with them next year and put smart nodes on the trees.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"