Author Topic: Hot Glue  (Read 813 times)

Offline IndianaChristmas

• Patron Member
Hot Glue
« on: September 23, 2014, »
I was going to use Hot Glue to keep those C9 Caps for nodes in place.  Is there a particular kind of hot glue I should use?  I'm in the NE so it can get cold, wet etc?
How about for holding coroplast together?  Plain old hot glue OK for that as well?

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Hot Glue
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, »
You might want to look around on HolidayCoro.com to see what kind of hot glue he uses / recommends.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, »
In a past class with David (HolidayCoro) he recommends the walmart store brand for coro projects.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, »
+1 (Walmart)  Works great

Offline zwiller

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, »
Test, test, test.  Stick in the freezer overnight and then test again. Stick in a bucket of water overnight and test again...  I love hot glue but it doesn't work well on everything.  Nodes are silicone.  Hot glue does not stick to them well.  Actually, I think the only things that sticks well to silicone is silicone adhesive.  Not even superglue.  Hot glue might stick to the cover and be good "enough" to help hold the cover on. 

Hot glue tolerates cold and wet, but too much of it and it gives.  Learned this the hard way last year.  And from what I am being told this winter shall be similar.  I am preparing accordingly.  All exposed modules in my elements will be glued AND screwed. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline tmcteer

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, »
I use Adhesive Tech which I think David sells on his site. All of my coro props are glued with this and has held up the last 2 years. Given So. Calif mild Decembers.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, »
I use Adhesive Tech which I think David sells on his site. All of my coro props are glued with this and has held up the last 2 years. Given So. Calif mild Decembers.

This is the same as I purchased from Walmart.  I had one "coro box" that came apart after 3 years, but my coroflakes and corostars have not had a problem over 4 years.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline dkulp

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, »

This is what I used last year as well and it worked great.  HOWEVER, I ordered more this summer (exact link from Amazon) for some more coro projects and I'm having issues with it.   I'm not sure if they changed the formula or something, but it seems to not stick to the HolidayCoro brand coro as well.   I've had a couple of things become unglued when left out in the sun, yet the stuff from last year is holding up fine.   Maybe I got a bad batch or something, but I thought I'd mention it.