Author Topic: Anybody out there a TV repair person?  (Read 1237 times)

Offline UncleBuck

Anybody out there a TV repair person?
« on: December 18, 2012, »
I have a 46" Sony Trenton Bravia TV model #KV-27TS46 that is acting up. When I turn it on it flickers and has what I call horizontal shadowing. After about 10 to 15 minutes it use to go away. Lately it takes several hours if not at all. Any idea's.

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: Anybody out there a TV repair person?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, »
There are actually people that are still in the TV repair business, believe it or not.

There is actually 2 in the town next to us.

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, »
I was hoping to fix it myself $$.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was hoping to fix it myself $$.

funny, i was about to post the same question. my plasma has audio but no video. if some one here is a tv repair person, please pm me so we don't hijack unclebucks thread anymore than i already have.

thanks

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, »
I always look at a TV failure as a good reason to buy a new one.  LOL.  I waited for years for my old tube TV to die so my wife would finally let me get a flat screen.  Now she loves it and I would not even bother to turn a TV on these days.  Much more interesting stuff on the net.  I did find a local repair guy when my son's 26" flat screen died last year, but it would have cost $160 to repair (mostly for the part) and we got a new 24" for $180.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, »
I had a 32" toshiba lcd fail was was advised by the TV guy that unless its  under some kind of warranty or just the back light it would probably be cheepr to replace it.  After 45$ mine was the CFL blub failure....
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, »
You might look here...

Double Image, Horizontal stripes, SONY Bravia KDL-46V4100 Dashboard

Not the exact same TV, although it sounds similar and a similar model.

Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline galgon

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, »
I have personally fixed two flat screens with very little effort.  Assuming you can identify the problem fixing it shouldnt be any harder than building a LE.  TVs are prone to blown caps.  That was the problem with my first TV.   I just opened it up unscrewing around 30 screws checked the logic boards and found 3 blow caps.  Ordered new ones, replaced and had no issues.  Fix was about $10 with shipping. 

The second did not have any blown caps.  I did some research on that particularly TV and found that one board tends to fail.  Found the board online from a dealer (i dont remember off the top of my head) and replaced it).   That one cost about $100 but was worth it for the 1.5 year old 50 inch TV. 

So my advice is open the back of the TV up and see if you can identify the problem just be sure to put it on a soft clean surface so that you do not scratch the screen.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, by galgon »
- Joe
Bethlehem, PA

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, »
Allright, thanks for all the tips and I have decided to open it up tomorrow and see what I can find. With a little luck I will be able to get it put back together before the football games start.  <pop..

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, »
I have fixed my 42" LG PLasma ... but I was lucky enough to find a well known problem with my control board and found a place online which sold a replacement control board for $55.  It took me the better part of 4-5 hours to take it apart and re-assemble ... it was VERY intimidating and to this day, I'm amazed I was able to fix it.   These modern TV(s) make almost any other kind of electronic device look simple.  No wonder they fail more often !  Good luck with your repair!
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, »
I have fixed my 42" LG PLasma ... but I was lucky enough to find a well known problem with my control board and found a place online which sold a replacement control board for $55.  It took me the better part of 4-5 hours to take it apart and re-assemble ... it was VERY intimidating and to this day, I'm amazed I was able to fix it.   These modern TV(s) make almost any other kind of electronic device look simple.  No wonder they fail more often !  Good luck with your repair!
[/quote

what was the problem with your 42" lg? mine has audio but but no video

duane
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights