Author Topic: Anybody using this type of transmitter?  (Read 657 times)

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
Anybody using this type of transmitter?
« on: January 03, 2014, »
I had some problems this year with my transmitter and it suddenly dawned on me that everything in my display has redundancy just in case but this one slipped through the cracks.

I found this one on eBay for a decent price. It's a bit stronger than most here are willing to use. Very compact but looks like power to it is through some kind a mini audio jack style connector and I'm a little skeptical about just guessing on the polarity as I don't want to let the magic smoke out.

I have asked the seller for some details on how to hook up power as the unit came with no instructions. Just wondering if anyone here might have already figured this one out.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thanks

Leon
Leon

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: Anybody using this type of transmitter?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, »
That looks similar to mine. That does look like a good backup transmitter.

I had a little problem and needed a backup transmitter 2 yr ago and this certainly brings back the need for getting one.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, »
It's a bit stronger than most here are willing to use.

Leon:

At one watt, it has three times more power than an FM02.

I would suggest that you include the use of an attenuator with this transmitter, as something this powerful could get you into trouble. Since the connector on the transmitter is a BNC, you should have no problem finding a good 20dB attenuator (which, I believe, will knock the one watt down to about 250 milliwatts).

These look like they'll work: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Also, it looks like the 1/8-inch mini-plug on the back of the unit is probably the power; the labels on the photos indicate that the push button for tuning the device is power input, which I doubt is the case. You should be able to trace the copper on the PCB to confirm the polarity (a mini-plug should have the center as positive and the sleeve as negative; "tip" and "ring" as the old Ma Bell guys used to call them).

HTH.

\dmc

Offline Gary

• Diamond Crescent
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, »
Is there a reason you don't want a case for yours? This one looks to me the same one, except there is a case to go with it? Seems like a good thing to have to avoid an "oops".

Offline WWNF911

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, »
I would suggest that you include the use of an attenuator with this transmitter, as something this powerful could get you into trouble. Since the connector on the transmitter is a BNC, you should have no problem finding a good 20dB attenuator (which, I believe, will knock the one watt down to about 250 milliwatts).

Thank you for the suggestion. I had an attenuator on my transmitter but I did take it off after my transmitter starting sputtering this year. I just took a look and guess what?  (20db)  :)   good call.

Additionally, the rest of your post is simply music to my ears. Thanks sooo much for passing on those tidbits. They will be invaluable.

Gary,

You know what? That's a very good suggestion. It does look the same although that one is a 12VDC vs a 9VDC. Which is BETTER!!!

Man you guys are good!

Thanks again.

Leon
Leon