Author Topic: Anyone know what can be used for a water show like this?  (Read 1628 times)

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

At 1:01 seconds there are some water jets. Anyone know what they are and how they are controlled? If nothing else it is a really cool video to watch.

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
Re: Anyone know what can be used for a water show like this?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, »
I would say they have a pond with Compressed air water cannons. I would guess it is built in to the landscaping.  Very cool!

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, »
I saw one thing on Youtube that built it out of PVC and sprinkler heads with the tops off. They said they were controlled by some kind of servo but did not explain. I think this would be awesome to do next year. Imagine some Aether's right below them to light them up.

Offline rm357

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, »
There is another post on this site where someone's daughter used an MR16 board to control 12 volt water valves connected to nozzels. However, to get that kind of height, they have to be using something to boost the pressure - I'm thinking pressure washers with high pressure tubing and valves with pretty small "stream" type nozzels. The water valves that can handle that kind of pressure are probably going to be pretty pricey... 

RM
Robert
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA

Offline spider236

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, »
how do they get the white lights to look like they bounce around all over the house? does each one need a separate channel?

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, »
Yes, I am sure that each one of those lights is on a different channel.

Offline Pyrotech

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, »
I've watched a couple of the videos, and it appears that all jets fire together, so I hazard a guess from the height reached etc, that its a basic layout similar to Jonathans in this behind the scenes clip. 

I'd personally use two or three water supplies, each on a solenoid all in series.  Its the pressure you need to get the head.  Then nozzle design plays a part.  But I've seen garden hose nozzles used (the adjustable ones, we call them hozelock here) with effect.  A closed circuit, 8 nozzles , three evenly spaced inlets, to be more complex you could place addition valves on nozzles to control individual jets.  Then time the lights to come on just after the water and off just before.

Offline foodseller

• Celebrating CHRISTmas-one light at a time!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, »
These look to be laminar fountains---another great DIY!  I was going to try to figure out how to incorporate them here in Northern Nevada, but it is quite hard to keep the water from freezing at 10 below zero!  <fp.

Heres a link to the laminar forum---check them out. It is pretty cool.

foody
Up to three channels now!!! Flashlight in each hand and one on my hat!

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, »
Awesome, I took a brief look at the site and cant wait to dwell into it some more. Currently working on a paper about Walmart's code of ethics  <wd..

Again thanks for the post

Offline coachers

• Coachers
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, »

A paper on Walmart's code of ethics? Going to be a short paper......

M O N E Y ... paper done!..... <wd..

Just couldn't resist
May you have Good Health...
Great Wealth.....
And your stein never be empty.

Offline fertsy

• Coop Manager
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, »
Aint that the truth... I said in my paper that despite Walmart's 36 page Statement of Ethics they still use sweatshops in China! <la..

Offline bharwell

• Question, Don't Defend. - Burt Rutan
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, »
Interesting setup.  At first glance I thought he was recirculating the water but the link to Jonathan's July 4th display shows he is just using two water hoses for pressure.  Pretty simple really although a little wasteful with water.  I would have a soggy mess here in Washington. :)  Just use the biggest electric sprinkler valves Home Depot has for the supply.  You've been in that section of the store before when you were looking at the weatherproof box for your controllers.  bh